ButterflyGarden

Plant for No Light Spot

I live in an apartment building. There is an area in front of my door that is set back from the hallway. The light from the hall window does not really get in there so much. You can see but there is no direct light at all. I would like to put a nice plant there to greet our visitors. What can you suggest?

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I was wondering the same thing one time. I did a google search and looked over a quick list of plants that can grow in full shade or partial. I think from the list the only thing I remember were impatiens. There is lots of spots around my house with shade, I'd love to grow a few things.

Oh, and catnip will grow in shade too, maybe even sweet mint. I keep mine in a spot that gets about 1 hour of morning sun then all day in shade. It is growing pretty good too. Some plants like pothos and maybe even Spider plants might be able to grow in full shade. I have lots of spider plants around my house some get lots of shade, but they also get some sun too. From what I have seen I think they prefer shadier spots.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agree with spider plants and pothos. Also "lucky bamboo" (which isn't really a bamboo, but is sold as such) and dracaena species (ti tree, dragon's blood plant, etc). Other low-light house plants to consider: chinese evergreen, aspidistra, peace lily. The peace lily is one of my favorites, blooms with very pretty white flowers. I had mine for the summer on my screened in porch, which does get indirect light, but then it got crowded out there, so I stuck the peace lily under the table. Kept right on going!

mitzi56

hi,

Still new to the forum, but met a very helpful person on here that s right now helping me with an issue regarding low light plants and their suggestion was that the plants I did buy were considered very low light plants for indoor obviously low light conditions and those were both the pothos and the umbrella tree. Mind you I am still having an issue with my umbrella tree dropping a lot of its leaves, but I thin k we are fixing that issue now, remember water slowly allow to dry a bit before re-watering and make sure it does not sit in water as you would with most plants by putting a water pot holder under it. just simply when ready to water, either add small amounts of water to avoid leakage onto the floor or place it in the sink and water it then allow it to dry out again. hope this helps and I hope rainbow gardner is watching hehe, he/she would be proud as I think I'm posting correctly this time lol :oops:

Tilde
Green Thumb

Purple Heart / Purple Queen. My yard came with a 'small' batch and I have been ripping them out for years. Now they've infested under where I keep the county landfill bin (I wouldn't dare home compost them) and they are loving that shady spot.

BUT HANDLE WITH GLOVES. I wear gloves and/or use fire on them.

[url=https://www.floridata.com/ref/t/trad_pal.cfm]more info[/url]

stylemichelle21

A few years ago when I was living in an apartment, a friend suggested lucky bamboo as an indoor low light plant. I know someone already suggested it, but it worked out really well for me. I'd definitely consider it.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Sansevieria (Snake plant/Mother-in-Law Tongue) is good for low light areas.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”