Lynn523
Newly Registered

Bringing plants indoors & Microscopic bugs in soil

Hello, I'm new to the forum and to gardening. I am trying to maintain a container garden on my balcony. I live in Maryland and the night time temps are beginning to dip below 50 degrees so I'm thinking it is time to bring the plants indoors.

I noticed LOTS of microscopic bugs in my small red salvia pot. I've also got two larger salvia pots and I'm concerned that they will also have bugs in the soil. Is this natural? Should I be worried about the condition of the soil and bug infestation indoors once I bring them inside? Thanks in advance for any advice/feedback!

nk

I would definitely avoid bringing any plants inside with bugs on them. :!:
You don't know what kind of bug you have so you don't know what else it might be attracted to. You run the risk of all of the plants in your house getting bugs when you do that.
Only take inside the plants that definitely don't have bugs and only take the salvia in once they're both definitely bug free.

Lynn523
Newly Registered

THANKS, nk, for your reply!!! I threw the plant with the bug infestation away immediately. When I checked the other two salvia pots and the other plants, they were bug-free so I've brought them in. Now, to try to keep them alive... Thanks again. :)

nk wrote:I would definitely avoid bringing any plants inside with bugs on them. :!:
You don't know what kind of bug you have so you don't know what else it might be attracted to. You run the risk of all of the plants in your house getting bugs when you do that.
Only take inside the plants that definitely don't have bugs and only take the salvia in once they're both definitely bug free.

nk

No problem! :)
Lynn523 wrote:THANKS, nk, for your reply!!! I threw the plant with the bug infestation away immediately. When I checked the other two salvia pots and the other plants, they were bug-free so I've brought them in. Now, to try to keep them alive... Thanks again. :)

nk wrote:I would definitely avoid bringing any plants inside with bugs on them. :!:

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”