Sfogardener
Newly Registered

Jalapeno plant, over watered or under watered?

What is the rule of thumb for over watering and under watering.Some of the leaves on my plant are droopy , other leaves are droopy and starting to dry out. I have been watering pretty much every day but I am comfused if I am over watering because the leaves are starting to dry and are crisp. Thoughts? Thanks!
[/img]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Both overwatering and underwatering will cause the symptoms you describe. Too much water causes the roots to die, because they rot from being wet too long. Not enough water causes roots to die, because they don't get enough moisture. Either way, when roots die, the part of the top they provided moisture to dies along with them. Overwatering is the more common problem. My guess would be that's what you're doing if you're giving the plant water every day.

It's possible that your plant is in too small of a container, which can strangle the roots. Again the roots wouldn't be able to absorb enough water to support the top growth, resulting in loss of leaves.

It might help if you could post some pics of your plant, so we could evaluate the problem. :)

silentrunning
Newly Registered

It took me a while to learn that hot peppers don't like wet feet. This year some of my best producers had the leaves wilt several times from a temporary lack of water. I don't recommend that you let them go dry, but let the roots breath evey once in a while.

Doug

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”