Hickory
Newly Registered

Suggestions for Indoor Climbing Plant? Photo included.

The previous owner of our home installed this, but I don't know what to grow on it, or how to start. It is a few inches wide, spans the entire arch, made of mesh and filled with peat moss.

Temperatures in the house can get as low as 50 in the winter and as high as 70 in the summer. There is no direct sunlight on the arch, but lots of filtered and indirect light from all the windows.

What can I grow that will climb this arch?

[img]https://farm7.static.flickr.com/6169/6175714318_262f245702_z.jpg[/img]

Tilde
Green Thumb

clover? lemongrass? maybe make a paste ....

but how do you keep it watered without rotting the wood bneath?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I didn't understand the suggestions above, neither clover nor lemongrass being climbers.

I had a jasmine vine that I kept outdoors (potted) in summer and brought in for the winter. It did great in similar conditions to yours all winter and grew and climbed like crazy. I finally gave up on it, because I was hoping for sweetly scented jasmine flowers and it never bloomed. But I had let it get pretty pot bound, so maybe that was my fault. Anyway, if you only wanted the foliage, it should work.

Other suggestions are here:

https://www.houseplantsguru.com/indoor-climbing-plants

Tilde
Green Thumb

I was thinking inverse chia pet. Now I get it; it's a climbing medium, not potting media. Too many scifi movies.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well it is a bit confusing. Now that I enlarged the picture to full size, what I assumed was a planting box under the black arch is really just a step. I was picturing a green screen room divider, but that's not it. So where is the planter and trellis?

OH , I think I got it .. "this" is just the black arch thing and inside the black whatever it is filled with peat moss? Sorry then Tilde, I think you understood it better than I did. But hickory said climbing, so I was thinking vines....

So Hick, help us out a little more. What were you picturing, something small that would just sort of line the black arch, make it green, the chia pet idea? Something vining that would be planted near the bottom and climb up it? Something that might hang down from it? OR?
Last edited by rainbowgardener on Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I wonder if a Hoya ... Wax vine ... would work there? Mine bloomed indoors with bright indirect light. I don't recall there being much, if any, scent, but the flowers are quite pretty, IMO.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”