yonnielovesveggies
Cool Member

Low maintenance, death resistant AND useful plants

Hi guys

I love plants. But I'm not a green thumb.

I also live in a very polluted city.

In the event that all the edible experiments crowding out my south facing window wither away, I'd like to know there will still be a bunch of indestructible plants in my home cleaning my air, greening my space.

So I have:

- mother in law's tongue (in the bedroom)
- the money plant (in every room)
- philodendron
- the peace lily

I've never managed to kill any of these plants. In fact, I've even accidentally propagated the money plant and the philodendron by leaving their cuttings in a glass of water for too long. Whatever the care instructions actually are, I've managed to keep these plants alive all the time without being at all mindful of what their needs are.

NASA did studies that showed the detoxifying effects of these plants too. Low maintenance AND useful!

Can you think of any more?

lorax
Greener Thumb

Rosemary, oddly enough. Highly death-resistant, great air purifier, extremely tolerant of bad air, and a tasty kitchen herb to boot!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Rosemary is not at all death resistant for me indoors. I have great difficulty wintering it over indoors, though I have no difficulty starting it from seed and growing it through the season outdoors. I finally managed to keep one going all last year, with great care and promptly killed it trying to transition it back to outdoors in the spring.

Tilde
Green Thumb

I keep hearing spider plants - not sure how you'd source them there if they aren't already there ...

mtmickey

I agree, spider plants, very easy to care for, little water required. Also wandering jew and pathos for houseplants.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I agree with all 3 above. I have all 3 and they grow nice with very little maintenance.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

I've read that ficus trees absorb more pollutants than any other plant.
I can't recall where I saw the information.

john gault
Green Thumb

Sunflowers

juneee
Newly Registered

Ficus are great for cleaning air! Some Palms are excellent as well, the bamboo, lady and areca. So is the corn plant, peace lily, rubber plant, (and the spider plant) all while being easy to grow, though I am working with this corn plant... thanks to this blog which I discovered today, I have some tips! Thank you!

I learned, it needs moisture, I will get a spray bottle, and the water may be damaging it, so I should let it sit so the chlorine and fluoride can escape it. I should create a humidity tray as well, I learned. Thank you!

Great book: "How to Grow Fresh Air" by Wolverton. Its what I am using as a guide as I am very interested in this thing because of the work I do in the house.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”