Lovemygarden

Pumpkins in planters

HI :) I planted pumpkins seeds in a pot and the vine began to grow , but thinking it wouldn't do well once the pumpkin grew I planted it in the ground and it died :(. Can you grow an actual pumpkin in a pot? [/url]

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

If the pot is large enough you can. The best are very large pots that are self watering and hold about 5 gallons of potting soil. Not sure what they will do in something smaller. My guess is that the plant was too large when you set it out. Best to leave where planted. If you prestart the seed only 2-3 weeks before set out and then in something like a paper pot made out of newspaper that was formed around a vegetable or large soup can. The squash family don't really transplant all that easily.

Lovemygarden

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to try and grow another pumpkin vine. I think my nieces and nephew will get a kick out of it :).

Question: Do you think a pumpkin vine can sit in water for lets say a day or two and live? I get flooding sometimes :(. If not then I will definitely replant in a bigger pot and leave it there.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”