brooklyn boy
Cool Member

Hanging melons

I have one sugar baby plant growing from a 5 gallon bucket on a window gate its already overhanging and about to flower, can I leave it to hang over?

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

It would be better to put the bucket on the ground and rig up some sort of trellis system and then put a sling under any melons that form. On the other hand it is so late in the season that it may not matter. The reason I said put it down is the vine will continue to grow and the melons tend to be heavy and would likely break off before they ripen.

brooklyn boy
Cool Member

CharlieBear wrote:It would be better to put the bucket on the ground and rig up some sort of trellis system and then put a sling under any melons that form. On the other hand it is so late in the season that it may not matter. The reason I said put it down is the vine will continue to grow and the melons tend to be heavy and would likely break off before they ripen.
I thought of putting a 1' wide 3' long poultry netting under the hanging vine to create a floor and let the vine grow/crawl flat on the netting ,

I'm a bit confused are you saying that the actual vine is strong enough to support it self hanging down even up to (eventually) a few feet in the air but the melons will weigh to heavy that it will either fall of the vine or entirely break/snap the vine ?

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”