amont009

Preparing for winter.

I have a small patio and all my plants are in containers. I'm a new gardener and want to make sure all my plants survive the winter, as such I need some info on how to care for my plants during this time.

Here is my location information. I live in:

Southern California, Inland Empire area.

August thru september the mean is in the 70s. At night its in the low 60s.

October mean in high 60s. At night its in the mid 50s.

November mean is in the low 60s. At night its in the mid 40s.

December mean is in the mid 50s. At night its in the low 40s.

December is the lowest it gets. After that it gradually starts to get warmer in the day and night.

My plants: Some were planted as seedlings on June 15th of this year, some were acquired later in germination, and the rest are plants that belong to my roommate. Here is a breakdown of what I have and whether I started them as seedlings, acquired them after, or if they belong to my roommate.

Roommates plants:

Succulent -not sure of age.
Jade - not sure of age.
thai basil - not sure of age

Two unidentified plants: which also belong to my roommate, not sure of their ages.

https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/651/newpictures049.jpg/

https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/196/newpictures014.jpg/

My plants:

Extra large leaves Parsley - started as seedlings

Tomato plant my mother in law gave me, not sure what it is. here is a picture: https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/221/newpictures048.jpg/

Extra large leaves Basil - started as seedlings.

common thyme - started as seedlings.

beefstake heirloom tomatoes - acquired at about 9 inches.

catnip - acquired at about 9 inches.

dwarf sugar snap - started as seedlings... stunted at 6 inches because of fungus that I have since gotten rid of, but peas are still doing bad. (I'm not too worried about them surviving the winter, I have more seeds and will start new ones next season)

swingtime fuchsia - acquired 8/12/2011... at about 13 inches.

So who will be just find if I leave them alone outside and who needs extra care?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

you don't have winter. by our standards where I am, you go from fall (temps) back to spring, skipping winter.

Your tomatoes may not produce much once it gets down in 50's, but shouldn't kill them. I put mine out in the garden in the spring when temps are like that here.

Might be a little chilly for the fuschia.

Otherwise, everything should be just fine. Enjoy your year around gardening and don't gloat too much! :)

froggy

Here I am thinking I'll find some pointers as to what to do with my plants in winter, then I see you're in California - yay, your lowest temps are a good 20C above our average I think...
At those temps I'd probably leave most of mine outside, except for the more tropical species, ficus, avocado and the like... I'd take the succulents in as well, though I don't know if they need it or not...

amont009

Thank you for your help. I just want to make sure all my plants are ok for the "winter"... lol... its winter to me... California winter is the only winter I have ever known. :)

applestar
Mod

Both tomatoes and basil are typically grown as annuals so don't be surprised if they don't make it.

The Basils should be brought inside when outside temperatures drop below 60°F. It will start to flower in late summer so clip off and use the flower stems before they open if possible. If they have opened, the dainty flowers make good garnish.

Thai basil is more likely to last longer than the large leaf basil.

Tomato -- if you can, maybe bring inside when temp drops down to 40's. You could probably prune up to top 1/3 of growth if necessary. But if the tomato is a determinate variety, it will fruit all at once on end of the vines and die.

Sugar snap peas will of course die after producing their pods. Just keep harvesting the pods until they are done. If it's not a hybrid variety, you could let some pods mature and dry, then harvest and plant the seeds. Otherwise, just start another crop from new seeds. From your description, it sounds like you could sow in late(?) fall or December and expect a new crop.

Many succulents including Jade will be fine but there ARE some that need at least 50's. I bring fuchsia inside once temps get down to 42°, so if that's as low as you get, yours will probably be be fine even if it loses some leaves. Just give it a good pruning when new growth starts.

I haven't looked at your links for unknowns. I'll post back with additional thoughts.

buzzcut

reaaaaallllly?

winter?

you made me bust out laughing reading that post!

I can't wait for our -20+ temps and -50 to -60 below wind chills! not to mention our 70+ inches of snow!!! (that amt of snow is way above ave, tho)

*just had to poke a little fun*
;)

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

buzzcut, Please don't mention winter, we're just finally getting summer. :( and winter is around the corner. When I take the dogs out, it's darker it seems every day. Yikes, I'm not looking forward to those cold winds, and minus 40 temps. Wow, I would love the california temps all year round. :!:

amont009

Thanks for all your help guys and thank you for the specifics applestar. :D As I said I am a new gardener so I just wanted to make sure everyone would be ok. And thank you buzzcut for your post. It made me laugh. :lol: I feel like such a noob now. But I worked so hard to grow my babies from seedlings and to take care of those that I got as gifts and especially those left under my care that of course I want them to make it through California winter aka Not winter.lol.

Also the two unidentified plants have been identified. One is a geranium, though I'm unsure of what variety it is. And the other is some type of succulent. I would most appreciate anyone's help to figure out what variety of geranium I have and what type of succulent. :)

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”