namcs
Newly Registered

My flower plants always die

Hello,
I have been buying potted plants from a near by market, however, none of flower plants survive so far. The only one left is dying, please help!
So this last one is a red chrysanthemum, around 30 cm tall. I haven't changed the pot since I'm afraid that might kill it. I don't have a yard either, so it's still in its plastic pot.
The florist told me to water it once a day, in the morning, an to pour water at the bottom of the trunk, not from the top. I followed this instruction very carefully. She also asked me to put where the plant can receive sun light, so I put it at the corridor.
During its first 3 weeks, the plant was very good, rich green and fully healthy. However, just around last 1 week, the leaves turned yellow and became dried. This process happen from the bottom to the top of the trunk and on the flowers petals also some brown areas also appeared.

Some photos of it:

[url]https://www.flickr.com/photos/hnamletran/6029627046/[/url]
[url]https://www.flickr.com/photos/hnamletran/6029068015/[/url]
[url]https://www.flickr.com/photos/hnamletran/6029623030/[/url]
[url]https://www.flickr.com/photos/hnamletran/6029625378/[/url]

I am living in Singapore, where it rains around the year, hot and humid. Could some one please give me some advice about this? Thank you very much.[/url]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't know anything about Singapore, but I'm thinking watering daily is too much and your corridor likely doesn't have enough light. Chrysanthemums and painted daisies are full sun plants and that is difficult to simulate indoors.

Water your plants thoroughly and then don't water again until the top few inches of the soil are drying out.

Maybe look around for houseplants that are better adapted to low indoor light levels?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Welcome to the forum! :)

The plant needs a minimum of 3 hours of direct sunlight every day. In your climate, where it's very hot, it might be best to put the plant where it can get morning sunlight, which isn't quite as intense as sunlight at mid-day. I don't think light is the problem your plant is having, however.

From examining the pictures, it seems to me that the problem is with the amount of water you're giving your plant. It's could be that you are giving it too much water, but the same symptoms would occur if you were keeping it too dry. You should pour water on the soil as the florist directed, until the water runs freely from the drainage holes in the bottom of the pot. So the first thing to do is to look at the bottom of the pot and make sure the pot has drainage holes. I don't think the pot is likely to be too small at this time, nor is it a problem that it is made of plastic.

It's also possible that the damage is being caused by a pest or a disease, but it looks more like a watering problem to me. I recommend that you correct the watering situation first, and then we can look at other possibilities.

Don't be afraid to remove the plant from its pot to look at the roots. As long as you're gentle, it won't harm the plant at all. Hold the plant on its side and squeeze the sides of the pot to loosen the root ball. Have your other hand prepared to catch the plant as it slides out of the pot. Then, just look at the roots. They should be firm and there should smell like clean earth. If the roots are mushy and have a bad smell, root rot has set in. Note whether the root ball is very hard and solid, or if there are roots growing around the outside of it. Then, just slide the root ball back into its pot and make another post, letting me know what you learned about the roots. It may be that the plant needs to be repotted, but don't be afraid. It isn't as difficult as many people think it is. :)

mtmickey

It could be possible that it is root bound, as well. Be sure to cut off the dead drying parts so the plant can give it's full energy to the still living portions of the plant.

namcs
Newly Registered

Thank you, didn't expect that I would get quite a few replies =)

I think you are all right, it is not as scary to change to pot as I though. The plants are obviously over watered. Their rootball is like a water balloon and very loose. I think it's root bound issue also.
The soil is mix with a large portion of coconut fiber (I think they put in because coconut fiber can contain water for long). So I remove all these fibers and some soil to give the roots some air and put in a much bigger pot with soil only. The roots seem to be still ok.

Now my question is, after repotting, should I water more, less or still once a day? Thank you =)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Probably less. Water when the top few inches of the soil have dried out, which is not likely to be every day.

namcs
Newly Registered

Thanks rainbowgardener. Anyway, I have little hope for my plants because there's nowhere around my apartment that has direct sunlight =(

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”