gboiv087
Newly Registered

PLEASE HELP...My dracaena is about to die

Hello,

I have a big dracaena that I repotted maybe 2 months ago. I cut off the top part and replanted it directly in the new pot, which is bigger than the old one, with lots of soil.

But the dracaena has not been doing so good since the transplant. At first it seemed fine, but now I realize that it is not as green as it used to be. It has become of a very light, pale green, and looks all droopy and weak.

Do you have any tips of what I could do to avoid the death of my plant?

Thank you so much!!

froggy

What kind of soil is it in now & does the container have a drainage hole?
Pictures would help too :)
did you possibly damage the roots or see anything funny when you had it unpotted?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Your chances of success will depend on how much the plant has deteriorated in the 2 months since you repotted it. Is there any chance you could post some pictures of it here? [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724](Instructions)[/url]

It's possible that your best bet would be to propagate the plant from stem cuttings, but again, that might not work if the stem is in too bad of condition.

What happened, I believe, is that you tried to root the stem by placing it in a large pot with "lots of soil". When you put a large amount of soil around a stem without roots, the soil stays wet too long. There are no roots to draw moisture out of the soil, and if the plant has also lost most of its leaves, there is little transpiration taking place. That means that not much moisture is needed. I believe the stem probably began to rot from being wet too much of the time.

In [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=175661]this thread[/url], I described for another member how to rejuvenate a corn plant (Dracaena fragrans) that was in bad shape. I described how to propagate new plants from cuttings. Perhaps you will find some helpful information there. If you have any questions or need clarification, please post and I'll try to answer them for you. :)

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”