Vorguen

container question regarding bleach (plus free bucket idea)

Recently I went in to eat at my favorite restaurant (Jason's Deli) and I remember reading somewhere on this forum that pickles generally came in buckets, well I asked and sure enough they gave me two free buckets, humongous 5 gallon buckets.

Well, I asked and they tried to clean them out with bleach (and they still smelled like pickles lol).

My question is, how unsanitary is the bucket for growing organic container plants and is there any way to efficiently clean the bleach out of it for my plants?

Does anyone know how to handle this or have any suggestions? Thanks

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Chlorine dissipates very quickly. Once the container is rinsed thoroughly and allowed to air dry, the chlorine is gone. Odor residue from the pickle brine or the bleach wouldn't affect the veggies.

smaxey843
Cool Member

good to know. I was avoiding free containers with bleach in them. but I'm a still leery of bleach containers. I thought it had other chemicals then chlorine?

Vorguen

bleach is made out of chlorine? I did not know that... so basically I should give the buckets multiple good rinses because I'm OCD like that and I have myself a good free bucket...

thats great to know.. Free buckets at Jason's Deli by the way guys, and delicious organic food (especially the salad bar)

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

The active ingredient in bleach is sodium hypochlorite, NaClO. The reaction with water and various other substances is shown [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_hypochlorite]here[/url].

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Vorguen

Just read through the article.. I couldn't quite figure out though if rinsing it out with water would be a good thing and make it safe though.. At least not from what I read I had a bit of a hard time understanding the implications

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

Rinse it out good and put them in the sun for a couple of days that should take care of the problem (environmental engineer at you service). They probably didn't use that much bleach in them, unless they were using them for bleach storage.
If you are going to use them to grow things in you will need a lot of soil or soil substitute. Also you will need to drill drainage holes in the bottom of them before you can use them or the soil will sour and you plants will get water logged. There is a way to use the two together to make one self watering container, just thought I should mention that too.

Vorguen

CharlieBear wrote:Rinse it out good and put them in the sun for a couple of days that should take care of the problem (environmental engineer at you service). They probably didn't use that much bleach in them, unless they were using them for bleach storage.
If you are going to use them to grow things in you will need a lot of soil or soil substitute. Also you will need to drill drainage holes in the bottom of them before you can use them or the soil will sour and you plants will get water logged. There is a way to use the two together to make one self watering container, just thought I should mention that too.
ah put them out in the sun, good call.. ill do that

Yeah, I planned on drilling holes into it :)

Good thing you reminded me though, I'm about to leave the town I'm in and my brother in law has a drill..

ill look into the watering container thing :)

smaxey843
Cool Member

self watering whaaa/??

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”