amont009

Caterpillars are eating my plants. Help!!!!!

I have a catnip plant. I have recently noticed small holes in the leaves that look like bite marks. As this is a plant for my kitties I would like to find a method to get rid of them that doesn't involve any type of chemicals.

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Please post a picture of your plant. It's easier to diagnose the problem if we can see the symptoms. Instructions are at the link below.

[url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724]How to Post Pictures & Photos on Forums[/url]

You could probably remove the culprit by hand easily enough. If your problem is caterpillars, they don't fly away, so they're easy to pick off. Look for them under the leaves and on the stems, especially after dark. Use a flashlight to find them. :)

amont009

I was able to find the little caterpillar and I picked him off and disposed of him.

He looks like a Nadata gibbosa larvae. Though I'm fairly new to gardening and could be wrong.

Do you know of any organic way to prevent caterpillars from appearing? I really don't want to use chemicals on the catnip seeing as how I use the leaves as a treat for my kitties and don't want to harm them in any way.

Thank you for your help.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

maybe post a pic of the caterpillar if you see it again?

The rough prominent you mentioned lives in deciduous and mixedwood forest and shrubland. That's not a good description of Riverside, CA. (I used to live there a long time ago.)

Bt (bacillus thuringiensis, sold as Thuricide or Dipel) is a good organic insecticide for many different caterpillars. It is a bacteria that infects them. It is totally harmless to mammals and to flying insects like honeybees. I believe it can be used preventatively, although I have never done this.

You can also dust your plants and the soil around them with diatomaceous earth. This is the shells of ancient diatoms. They are in sharp little pieces which cut open small soft creatures (like caterpillars and slugs) that crawl across them, so they leak fluids. Also harmless to people and kitties, except you don't particularly want to breath it in.

Both of these would have to be reapplied after rain, but you probably aren't going to see any rain for awhile....

amont009

Here is a picture of the little guy I found. The other one I found looked just like him.

https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/135/newpictures001.jpg/

If anyone can identify him and let me know how to prevent them from appearing I would greatly appreciate it.

Schila
Cool Member

You are not alone. My basil leaves have holes due to some insect that comes at night and eats them. I've gone at night like many say with a flashlight but I can't find any bugs. I'm up to the point where I think I'm going to have to spray :(

amont009

Hey Schila,

Just thought this info might be helpful to you.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39168

I'm probably gonna go with neem oil just because most of my plants are edible and I don't want to harm the helpful bugs that appear in my garden. Hope this is helpful :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Schila wrote:You are not alone. My basil leaves have holes due to some insect that comes at night and eats them. I've gone at night like many say with a flashlight but I can't find any bugs. I'm up to the point where I think I'm going to have to spray :(
Are you sure it is an insect? Insects don't typically bother herbs very much. Are they round holes in the middle of the leaves (not on the edges)? That would more likely be slugs. You should be able to see them at night with the flashlight, but they can be hard to spot if you don't have a lot of them. Put a board down on the soil and leave it a couple days, then lift it up in the daytime. If you have slugs, they will likely be hiding under it.

On the other hand, if it is just a few holes here and there, I don't necessarily worry about that. The plant can easily carry on missing ten percent of its leaf surface or more. I just figure nothing in Nature is ever perfect looking.

Schila
Cool Member

rainbowgardener wrote:Are they round holes in the middle of the leaves (not on the edges)?
No, they are not round holes. Something is eating the basil leaf from the borders up until is almost gone. I will take a picture and post it here.
Last night my dog woke me at around 1:00a.m because he wanted to go pee and I took my flashlight. Didn't see caterpillar or slugs... :(

froggy

Yeah something's munching on my basil too, but since I don't use it that much and the damage isn't huge I just leave it as is...
Actually, after spraying with soapy water, it seems to have stopped.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”