ladygaga

African violets from outer space! Everfloris?

I haven't been on in a while but I trust this forum more then any out there. Any advice I've received has been more then helpful. But enough, getting to the point I have been totally intrigued with these African violets that were apparently sent into space for 6 years which somehow made then easier to grow, everblooming, and larger overall. My question is does anyone have any information as to reliable online stores to purchase them from, and experiences with them in general. Anything at all feel free to comment!!!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I have no information about them, but I have serious doubts about the veracity of the advertising. It just doesn't sound logical to me. But I'm a skeptic about such things. I guess I'd want to see one before I spent any of my money on it, especially if the vendor is trying to separate me from a sizable amount of my money. :lol:

ladygaga

I believe they are legit, they have pictures and they are most definitely larger here is a link. https://www.optimara.com/everfloris.html I'm crossing my fingers because they are exactly what I'm looking for. They are 30$ each so I don't really think that would be highway robbery sine bonsai are sometimes in the 50s or 70s easily.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

They look like standard African violets to me. You may see what I mean if you google standard African violets. They are easier to start from a leaf, they have larger flowers and more of them, and they bloom more frequently. It was only after people began developing newer varieties and trying to make them smaller that difficulties arose. That's why they became know as "difficult" plants. Back in the old days, African violets were considered one of the easiest plants to grow, and almost every home had a few. :)

Standards are the old-fashioned type of African violets my grandmother grew. They were also the ones I grew when I first became interested in Saintpaulias. They've been around for a long time. I sure wouldn't pay any $30 for one, either. Lately, however, the old standards have been a bit harder to find than the fancier named varieties, which may be why this company decided to create a special name for them and tell a story about them being sent out into space.

I'm not saying a plant wasn't sent out into space, I just doubt it would have been enough to create a dramatically different strain of plants. But that's just my opinion. ;)

The care they suggest isn't different from what is recommended for all African violets. I don't use any special watering device or pot, either. I just submerge the pot up to the rim and wait for the water to show on the surface of the soil. Works for me. Worked for my grandmother, too. :)

I apologize if I seem to be a wet blanket. If you want to buy one of these violets, by all means do so. It's always a good thing to enlarge one's collection of plants, especially with ones you enjoy. :)

Here is a page of pictures of standard African violet varieties that you may enjoy. I plan to order a few soon, I think.

https://www.lyndonlyon.com/AV%20List%20Standards%20NF.html

ladygaga

Your not being a wet blanket your being honest! Maybe your right. I'm just a sucker for the modern era. but I really would like to know of any everblooming violets you know of? Ive been looking at online retailers that have specific hybrids that I can choose from because some of the blooms would be just amazing to have in my bedroom. I think we can both agree that African violets are a classic amazing plant that will never go out of style :) and also sice I will be keeping them in my bedroom I would also like to know of and lighting you suggest? Artificial obviously but you seen to know alot about violets so any direct links to lighting would be great :*) and I want to purchase these as well do you think it would be a smart idea. https://www.theperfectvioletpot.com/

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I have 2 standard African violets now. I bought them both at the supermarket for about $5 each. They bloom better than any of my others. They are in bloom about half the year. They're in bloom right now, in fact. One is purple and one is white.

I have a leaf in water in a glass in the kitchen. It's had roots for a long time, probably the better part of a year. I just never have gotten around to planting it. One day, when I was looking at it, I noticed that a little violet plant had sprouted from the roots and was floating on the surface of the water. That's how easy they are to start. You can hardly keep them from propagating. :lol:

The other 3 violets I had were "named" varieties, and have been a disappointment to me. One just up and died. The other 2 were in bloom when I bought them and have rebloomed once for me. They're basically just pretty little foliage plants, as far as I'm concerned.

I want to buy some more standard violets, but I don't care whether they've been sent to outer space or not. I just want plants that bloom, and I know the standard ones will. I guess I don't care much about how interesting a story I can tell my friends about my houseplants. I'm more concerned that they bring me enjoyment by blooming, if they're supposed to. Maybe that's a sign that I'm getting old! :lol:

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Kisal...............I looked at that link, you put up on standard african violets. They are gorgeous :D No wonder you love to see them blooming. :flower: Hope you find some you really like :wink:

Feyrith
Newly Registered

Ok, I really did think it was a joke when I saw it too, but someone was selling leaf sets on eBay, so I decided to give it a try.
I got 2 everfloris varieties and 2 regular varieties. The regular AV's only 1 grew, the other did not set, the one I have is beautiful light pink with verigated leaves. it is small, in a 3" pot and I have managed to leaf propigate another, but it is slow going.
The everfloris are crazy!!! I have leaf propigated half a dozen times to give plants to friends and family with no problems. the plants themselves are nice and full in a 6" pot, and I think they took a 1 week bloom break last year. it is the end of January 2013 and I a small amount of blooms on. In the summertime you can hardly see the leaves through all of the blooms. I have to thin the leaves every other month in the summer or the blooms get stuck behind leaves and grow a little wonky. I have EverGrace and EverPraise, and I love them!! I am looking for more, but I can't find them on eBay anymore.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I had never heard of this, so I searched a little. I still can't say for sure that the whole sent in to space thing is real, but I did not find anyone debunking it or claiming that it is a hoax.

I did find some one saying they found the Optimara/everfloris violets at a Lowe's, so it might benefit you to look around.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”