jubrand
Newly Registered

What's killing my roses and climbing vines?

I live in Chicago and I have 2 pots with roses in them. They're hearty Canadian strains that actually survive through the winter. They both started up fine this year, but suddenly one pot is having problems. The stems are wilting and the leaves are yellowing. The other plant in the pot is a candy corn climbing vine, and it doesn't look as bad, but the tips of the leaves are drying out and turning black. I have the exact same setup in a pot that's 2 feet from this one, and the roses and vine are doing fine. What's wrong?

I posted pictures here: https://jubrand.imgur.com/

JONA878
Greener Thumb

My guess would be that there is a root restriction going on, where not enough fluid is getting up to the leaves as they transpire.

One reason could be too high a salts level in the pot. This is usually a build up from the feed put into the soil.
If this were the case it acts as a block to the roots and inhibits their ability to draw up fluid.
The remedy is to flood the soil out so that the salts are leached away.

Often happens in a greenhouse soil where it is constantly used.
Worth a try if no other suggestions come forward.

jubrand
Newly Registered

Thanks! By flooding it out, do you mean basically watering theheck out of it? :)
Last edited by jubrand on Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Thats it.
A real good watering through so that the soil gets a good wash out.
Then let it dry to an only slightly damp stage before starting to re-water.

jubrand
Newly Registered

I'll give it a shot. It has to be something like this, b/c it's happening too all the plants in that pot, and none in the one right next to it. Hopefully I can save the plant before it's too far gone.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”