SPierce
Greener Thumb

Two 6" pots left...

... any idea of what I should do with them? I've got all my starter plants in the ground or in their larger 18 gallon pots, and I've got two empty pots sitting on my front porch. I'd like something simple and not too complicated to grow- any ideas on what would be a good thing to put in these pots?? I was thinking along the lines of veggies, but I haven't stepped into flower territory yet, either, due to lack of room.

ruggr10
Green Thumb

strawberries!

SPierce
Greener Thumb

ruggr10 wrote:strawberries!
In the 6 inch pots? Really? They seem to take up too much room! Granted, I have a bed of strawberries going down in my garden proper. Hmm, maybe a different type of strawberry might be the order of the day. I Guess I never thought I could grow them in containers.

ruggr10
Green Thumb

I put my leftover alpine strawberries in mine and they are very happy... I've also seen others do more full sized strawberries and it worked.

applestar
Mod

Strawberries will get pot bound, not to mention they won't survive the winter unless you live in mild winter area.

I think you need something that will have smalller root systems and/or drought tolerant. I have pineapple tops rooted and growing in 6inch pots. Smaller rosemary, Aloe, Christmas cactus, seedling pomegranates and citruses, fuchsia.... I had thyme And tarragon in 6" pots last year but they escaped and established themselves in the ground :lol:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I like applestar's suggestion of thyme or tarragon. Oregano will grow in your small pots for a year or two before it gets too crowded.

Otherwise impatiens, geraniums do pretty well in small pots. Or succulents like hen and chicks.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

Thank you guys :D I already have some herbs going in some of the pots- thyme, rosemary, basil, etc. I think maybe I'll go for some flowers, and see if I can get some extra bees buzzing around my garden with some bright colors!

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”