hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

When all else fails!

A few years ago my wife complained about the boring area outside her bathroom window. I had tried to plant various perennials in the ground, but the dry sandy root filled ground, which is mostly shaded just would not cooperate with my efforts and the plants withered or died. I finally decided to lay down weed guard fabric and cover with leaves, and then made a mass planting of perennials in mostly 3 gallon nursery pots. Here is the result, which has made the wife happy and works for us.

[url]https://www.flickr.com/photos/aghenderson/5777440902/in/photostream[/url]

ruggr10
Green Thumb

It's amazing to me that not even daylilies would grow there. We keep pulling the darn things out from where the don't belong, even in shady spots.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I planted numerous clumps of daylilies there. Every year the plants got smaller and smaller. Most were smaller than one year old plants by the time I gave up, lifted them, and moved the daylilies back to pots. With the large oak trees growing all around the area, it is simply not possible to water the ground enough to dampen this dry sand in the summer time. The trees pull every bit of nutrients and surface water from the soil and left almost nothing for the plants that were in my flower garden area.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”