Signal30
Cool Member

Painting Pots.

I was able to score a good deal on some large plastic pots that are the color of terracotta.

Can I paint these?

Will the chemicals of the paint leech into the soil and harm the plant?

There are several types of paints. Would paint that adheres to plastic work, or is their a risk of the above question?

Thanks!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I've painted terra cotta pots before, but not plastic ones. I don't think anything would leach into the soil, because when painting plastic pots, you put the primer and the paint only on the outside of the container. It should work fine.

I would use a primer and paint specifically designed for plastics. I would definitely use the primer, and not just a paint that says it will work for plastics. They've never worked for me without a primer underneath. :)

Signal30
Cool Member

Thanks Kisal,

I did just prime two of them and I am going to paint the bots with a brown textured paint that makes it look like stone.

None of these are veggies, just plants with colorful leaves for our shaded patio.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

They should look really nice when you're finished. I want to do that with my flower boxes on my patio. They're getting old and starting to show it.

Maybe post a pic when you're done with one or two of yours? I'd like to see how they turn out. :)

Signal30
Cool Member

I will post images when they are done. I've primed them so far, if it doesn't rain I'll post the pics. Later, I'll post them planted next to the ceramic pot fountain they will go next to.

Signal30
Cool Member

Yeah don't do it. Total waste of two pots. 1 can after priming wouldn't even coat one pot and it never really dries, turns sticky and sludgy.

Instead I used a plastic spray paint and painted two pots brown. No primer and less paint to cover.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

That's interesting. The only paint I've seen that is advertised as especially for plastics is a spray paint, but it requires a special primer, which also comes in spray cans. The two are sold side-by-side in the paint department of a store near my home. I haven't looked at other stores much, so I don't know what else is out there. I'm not quite ready to start this project yet. Now I'm definitely interested in seeing your results. Maybe my project is something that would be better off left undone! :lol:

Signal30
Cool Member

The brown spray paint will look better then the terracotta color. I got such a good deal on the pots, I don't want to spend a arm and a leg to find great expensive paint just to spray plastic pots.

Reguardless, once I plant them I will post a pic. In the next couple weeks we are putting a pergola up over the patio and hopefully everything will tie in.

This project is called "My Outdoor Zen"...lol

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”