Schila
Cool Member

African Violet and Self Watering Pots

What is the best way to water an African Violet? Two weeks ago I bought an African Violet that came in a plastic pot and repot it to one of those double self watering ceramic pot. When I repot it, I water it and as far as I remember no water came from the bottom (remember that this ceramic pot don’t have drainage holes). I haven’t water since because I can fell the soil moist. My question is how do you water African Violet when they are in this type of self watering pots and how often? 8)
Have a nice day!

Schila
Cool Member

Pictures

Here are some pictures
[url]https://www.myphotos.yahoo.com/s/215j3baet7i4li0q0agn[/url]
Have a nice day!

shadowsmom

I only replace the water in the holding area when it gets down low. That's about once a month. I don't water the actual plant ever. I know some people don't like these pots but I've had a lot of success with them for a lot of years.

froggy

I understand the inside pot doesn't have a drainage hole either?

Then it would be important not to water the plant directly, since there is no escape for excess water...
;)

Schila
Cool Member

So the pot sits in the water of the holding area all the time until it gets down to a low level??? How about when you need to feed the plant? just add the food in the holding are as well?
Have a nice day!

shadowsmom

Yes, just put the fertilizer in the water. You should never water the dirt since it can't drain.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Where can you get those kind of pots from???

Schila
Cool Member

Green Mantis,
Well mine was given to me by a friend, but I've seen them at Home Depot. If you go online and google Self Watering African Violet Pot you will get an extent variety from where to choose from.
Have a nice day!

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”