Schila
Cool Member

Allocacia Polly or Elephant's Ear - How to care?

Hello:
Does anyone know about Allocacia Polly? I have had this plant for almost 2 years and recently it has begun to give two more leaves :o (see pictures). Also at the bottom near the soil tow little leaves are emerging :shock: .
I've seen pictures on the internet on this plant and it can turn into a beautiful plant but for some reason mine has stayed the same for all these years. Recently is that I have notice the two leaves and the little ones.
[url]https://www.myphotos.yahoo.com/s/215j3baet7i4lkwsvh4l#xF7rzpOrJ1Nsd2sHWCrzBHkLUf6V6Nym4[/url]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Tell us a little bit more about how you have been caring for it. That's a somewhat small pot for a plant that size and the soil level is a bit low. Have you repotted it recently or given it any new soil? Do you fertilize it? Do you mist it?

Every year or so, I take all my house plants (except a couple of large trees that are too big to do this) out of their containers. Dump all the soil into a wheelbarrow and add about that much more fresh soil (potting soil with MG). Then I divide the things that are getting crowded, trim as needed and put everything back. That keeps everything fresh and nourished and I don't do very much to them in between...

Schila
Cool Member

Rainbow,
I have been just watering this plant I would say once a week. Not much done. Not misting it either.
What do you mean that the pot is too small? Small in depth? So what do you recommend I do? When I repot my plants (not sure if it's right) I get rid of all the soil around even the soil around the roots. Is this the way it should be done? Also, should I divide this in different pots? Help!!

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Schila-----I think he means the pot could be too small, or you need to top up the existing pot with more soil. I wouldn't divide it up, if you are transplanting, I think you've done a great job with it. Transplanting is pretty hard on plants, but I guess if you "really" want to, you could see what happened. I also think Rainbow was suggesting possibly misting it too. Hope Rainbow comes back on!! ----I'm not up on these plants but have admired them, and thought about trying one. They are very pretty. Good Luck. :) I would add more dirt, inside the top of the plant though.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

well, I'm not a he :) and I'm not real knowledgeable about elephant ear, which I have grown sometimes out doors and dig it up and let it be dormant all winter (where I just cut all the leaves off and store the bulb), but not as a house plant. But I do know that tropical plants like elephant ear like a lot of humidity. The inside of our houses tends to be a low humidity environment, especially in winter with heat on, but also in summer if you run central air or are in an arid climate. Therefore they do much better if you just mist them with water from a spray bottle at least a few times a week.

They don't want huge pots, my concern was just if the soil was being refreshed and if they have enough nutrients. When you are repotting you really don't want to try and get the soil away from the roots, just replant the root ball with the soil. Otherwise you can injure a lot of the delicate feeder roots and root hairs.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:oops: So sorry, I guess when we are on here we really aren't sure who's a he and who's a she. LOL!! :roll: I am a she too!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No offense taken, my screen name doesn't give clues....

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”