PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Need ideas for planting in pots

Hello,

So I have a few pots. I have two 2 gallon pots, and like three 1 gallon pots. I also have this long pot that is like 2 feet length, by 6 wide and about 5=6 inches deep. I have been thinking about planting nothing but herbs in all these. I have dill and catnip and chives. I was even thinking about doing another basil plant. But I am also open to the idea of planting stuff that will attract beneficial insects. Could I grow any veggies in any of these? Thx

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Herbs should work in your 1-gallon containers, and I think peppers would work in 2 gallon pots. You could grow either hot peppers or sweet peppers ... or maybe both! :D

The 2-foot-long container that is 5 to 6 inches deep could be used for shallow rooted crops. Perhaps some salad greens would be nice, such as a few varieties of lettuces. You could even have some radishes. :)

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

You think I could grow kale in the long 2 footer pot?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Chard needs a container that is 8" to 12" deep. I think it would be a little crowded in yours. Did I understand correctly that it's only 5" to 6" deep? :?:

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Yeah it's not very deep, so scratch that idea. I will go with your suggestions. What are some plants that attract beneficial insects??

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”