Schila
Cool Member

Need to transplant a Garden Mum

I have a Garden Mum in the same container that came from the store where a friend bought and gave as a gift, a couple of months ago. It has grown quite a bit and I think it needs to be transplanted. Can I put a Garden Mum in a clay pot? How big does it need to be? Can it be an inside plant?

:D

thebigtomato

hello Schila,

Mums make Great container plants. generally, when we are talking about indoor house plants, you would want to transplant once every year or two, depending on growth but in this case a 3 to 5 gallon clay pot would give you plenty of indoor enjoyment. just be sure to provide plenty of natural light. you can supplement with artificial light, a combination of both is ideal for indoors. and as always, never over-water.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agree that the mums will do fine in containers, clay or whatever. But I would have said it would not do well indoors, especially would not be too likely to bloom indoors. They are a full or almost full sun plant and that can be hard to duplicate inside. But I haven't tried it. Definitely the supplemental lighting would help.

thebigtomato

actually, we have an indoor garden, complete with tomatoes, peppers and corn! all in front of a big open window(south facing would be best) and supplemental light and they do great. even the Hibiscus, Amaryllis and Lilies bloom all year. Definitely possible with indoor gardening and is great fun all year round. Cheers!

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

thebigtomato.....Could you please post some pictures of your in-door garden??? Sounds so interesting. Thanks. :)

thebigtomato

Sure thing! I'll try to take some new pictures and post them next week. You can see our most recent pictures on our facebook page though at https://www.facebook.com/bigtomatohydro - You'll be AMAZED at the size of our corn ;)

P.S. Feel free to like us if you want ;) By the way, I just had a little baby girl everyone =) 7lbs 12oz. Her name is Sophie Belle. Fantastic stuff!

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:D Ist of all, CONGRATS on your new Baby girl!!!-----Second, thank you for the pictures, I love that bus in those pictures!!! :D So weird looking, it's pretty cool! :D
Last edited by Green Mantis on Sat May 21, 2011 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

thebigtomato

Thank you so much! Except now I'm getting like no sleep. . . fun times ;) I went ahead and created a garden album with our better plant photos we have. As I get new and better pics I'll be adding them to this album here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.215571698467241.63539.109114015779677

mistyrae
Newly Registered

I am soooo glad to hear that someone has successfully raised an indoor vegetable garden. I'm trying to do the same now. I live in an apt with no real outside space :(

Any suggestions you have on how to begin would be much appreciated.

For now, I have Aloe (doing great) Peppermint, Rosemary (both struggling), Sweet basil (seedlings are slow going), and Dill (most of the seedlings have given up the ghost). The natural light is not optimal (Southeast building with Northwest exposure, though more west than north). I've decided to move the "garden" closer to the large living-room window. Besides the plant lights I was thinking of adding a reflective back to the shelved "garden" setup--something to increase light and warmth. I live in a mountain valley so we still have days under 70 deg. What are your thoughts?

I plan to start a lettuce mix 2 weeks, and I'm considering grape tomatoes and a sweet pepper (though I'm not sure if there's enough sunlight available). Please help :)

thebigtomato

Hey mistyrea,

if you don't have sufficient light, that would be the first thing to take care of because without it, your garden will not flourish.

that being said, if you are going to stick with mostly herbs and greens then
high output florescent lights(T5 type) will do a great job and there are many options in that category.( 2" and 4"- 2, 4, 6, 8 lamp configurations) reflective material will help.
if you decide to do the tomatoes and peppers then consider stepping up to H.I.D.(High Intensity Discharge) lighting because fruiting /flowering plants need more energy to produce. depending on your gardening area, 250w or 400w H.I.D light would be good to start with. hope that hleps. Cheers!

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”