Schila
Cool Member

What to plant on these clay pots..............

Ok, so I just came back from Home Depot and I'm debating on what to plant on these clay pots that are on the west part of the house, so they get the aftenoon Texas - Houston sun.
These are the ones that I saw and liked: Mexican Heather, Lantana, Portulaca, Petunia and Dwarf Marigold.
Any suggestions?
:lol:

[url]https://www.myphotos.yahoo.com/s/215j3baet7i4lxgnx12j[/url]

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

The portulaca might be tough enough for you, also the Mexican heather? The others, or at least some of them need lots of water. Good Luck with them. :)

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Have you looked at sedum? I have 4 different varieties in different colors planted on the west side of my house, in a section of my yard that doesn't get any water all summer long. Not even any rain. A friend of mine, who manages a local nursery, suggested it to me, and I didn't think I'd like it much. I figured I could always just pull it out, though, and plant something else, so I tried it. I really love it, and I get so many compliments from other people about it.

Mine is perennial, so I don't have to replant the area every year. It blooms in the spring, and again in the fall, in reds, pinks, and yellows. Very nice. :)

Schila
Cool Member

Kisal:
I wished I had had this posting before buying the plants. Sedum looks really pretty. Finally I got some red verbenas. They look really nice. What do you know about verbenas? I don't know if I mentioned before that behind these clay pots is the sprinkle system and what I have planted before have died because I rely 100% on the water from the sprinkler. How much water does verbenas needs?

Thanks

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”