michelle467
Newly Registered

growing pandora vine indoors - leaves are dropping :(

I have had a pandora vine indoors since april. I just moved to Chicago and the weather is changing. The soil got a little dry and now the leaves are dropping. I haven't seen much information on this plant. It goes by Pandorea jasminoides or bower vine. What can I do to save it? It is my favorite plant and don't have any room for it outside :(

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Michelle,

Your vine probably got too dried out. Leaves can be expendable to many plants and they will shed them when they're stressed. Not to worry. Cut back the vine to live wood and keep watering regularly. Check to see if it's rootbound and either needs a root pruning or a 2" larger pot. These vines can be grown as houseplants.

From page 9 at this site:
https://www.bachmans.com/gardening/TROPICAL%20CARE%20Color%20Book.pdf
WHITE BOWER VINE –Pandorea jasminoides ‘Lady Di’

HABIT - A jasmine like climber also known as bignonia. In optional light this climber may bloom year round. Glossy dark green leaves show off the tube shaped flowers

BLOOMING - 2 inch wide funnel shaped flowers bloom the heaviest from July to September. The Pandora is available in a pink variety called Rosea, while Lady Di is white.

LOCATION - Originally from Australia Pandora prefers bright sunny locations. Pandorea is a vine and takes over quickly. To maintain an optimum size and shape staking is necessary.

WATERING - During the growth period keep evenly damp. Feed weekly until August. All-purpose soil with slow release fertilizer will prolong blooms.

OVERWINTERING - Move Pandorea indoors early, it is sensitive to the cold. Keep bright at 60 degrees and water moderately. In spring replace the top layer of the soil or repot. The plant will need to be removed from any trellis that it was staked upon and cut back the shoots.
Newt

michelle467
Newly Registered

will try those suggestions...thanks a lot :D

Newt
Greener Thumb

You are very welcome! Don't hesitate to write if things don't get better.

Newt

michelle467
Newly Registered

finally got around to replanting and I am hoping that was it...took all my might to get it out of the pot and into a bigger one. definitly root-bound around the bottom...thanks for the advice and I'll keep you posted on whether or not it makes it through the winter :)

Newt
Greener Thumb

Wonderful news!! I do hope it makes it through the winter for you.

Newt

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”