Schila
Cool Member

Peace Lily - Yellow Leaves

Hello :clap:
I need some help with my Peace Lily. I have had this plant for 2 years and when we bought it, it had some blooms that lasted for only a few weeks. After they died, I have only had one bloom that also died and I'm having another one now. The problem that I'm having is that the leaves are turning yellow and some have brown tips. I water it only when the pot feels too light or when after putting my finger in the dirt it feels dry. When it comes to light it is one feet from a north window that it's not wide open. I have the feeling that it needs repotting. It is in a 4" plastic container and it sure looks crowded. I bought a 12" plastic pot, but by reading about repotting, I believe 12" would be too big. Please advice on what to do. I want to save my peace lily. -helpsos-

[url]https://www.myphotos.yahoo.com/s/215j3baet7i4lca65igz[/url]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Welcome to the forum! :)

The Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum) is sensitive to chlorine in water. You can reduce the amount of chlorine in tap water by allowing the water to stand in an open container for 24 to 48 hours. If you prefer, you can use rainwater or distilled water on your plant.

If your plant has been in the 4" container for 2 years, then I agree it's time to repot it. I don't think I would move it to the 12" pot, though. Try to find one that is about 6" in diameter. If a plant is in too large of a pot, the soil doesn't dry quickly enough, and that can lead to root rot.

Schila
Cool Member

Thanks Kisal for the information.
How about if I got from 4" to 8"? Will 8" be too big?
When repotting, I have ready many ways to do it. Do you think that I should wash away the old potting mix that is already with the plant and use new one, or should I just take the plant out of the 4" and lay it on the new one, eithet 6" or 8" and fill it with new potting soil? What kind of soil should I use.
Some people has suggested to use Orchid Mix and I have it at home for my orchids, but for me is just too much bark, charcoal and perlite. No dirt at all.
Thanks

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:?: Kisal, I have seen these plants in a lovely vase ( big) full of water. They have tons of roots and flower too. I never tried it, but I have seen a few like that. I didn't think they would live in water like that. But these ones sure do. The ones I have seen haven't been at the same place either, I'm really confused over them being in a big vase of water??? Would they be a bit different type plant? Although they look just like the one pictured here????

Schila
Cool Member

My peace lily really needs repotting. Leaves are turning yellow and it has been in the same 4" pot for several years. It has one bloom and I think I'm seeing one or more on the way. Is it ok to repot while it's blooming?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Schila, if you handle the plant gently enough, it's possible to repot it while it's blooming. If it experiences too much transplant shock, though, it may drop the flowers.

If it's really root bound and desperate for repotting, my choice would be to sacrifice the flowers in favor of saving the plant. You might prefer to wait until the flowers have bloomed, before repotting. Either way will work, but this is the optimum time of year for repotting plants, because they're in a period of active growth. :)

Schila
Cool Member

I will risk the blooms. It really needs repotting.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”