palmbreeze
Newly Registered

Newbie - soil and fertilizer?

Hello,

I'm completely new to this forum and to gardening. I helped plant vegetables as a kid in the garden, but that is about as far as my knowledge goes.

I wanted to start a garden, but decided to start with container gardening to see how it goes before I put big bucks into a large garden. I've been trying to reserach on how to grow vegetables in containers, but I'm a bit overwhelmed.

I decided I would start with four containers and grow grean beans, tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers. Or, maybe those are bad choices?

I'm currently stuck on what kind of soil to use and what type of fertilizer and when to fertilize. I see a lot of recipes and mixtures. I'm new to this and totally believe in KISS (keep it simple stupid) otherwise I'll burn myself out and give up. I've read about Pro-mix soil and then adding some Perlite to it? I also read about making your own fertlizer tea with manure and water? Am I totally off base here? I need help and direction! I want to have a plan of action before I just dive in to this.

Thanks!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

A warm welcome to the forum! :)

If you're new to gardening, I suggest that you simply start with a good potting mix from the store. Look at the ingredients listed on the bag, and if peat moss is first or second on the list, you'll need to add additional perlite, and possibly some sand. Buy them at the same time as you buy the potting mix, to make sure you get the kind of sand for gardening. If your heart is set on mixing your own growing medium, you might find some information in [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33903]this thread[/url]. (Personally, I use the Sunshine brand potting mixes, such as Nature's and Black Gold.)

The thing about gardening in containers is that you must provide a growing medium that allows the water to drain away quickly. Excess water can only get out of a container through the holes at the bottom of the pot, so the soil must allow the water to reach those holes quickly. If the soil stays too wet too long, the plant's roots will drown and rot.

[url=https://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1647.html]This link[/url] will take you to an article by Ohio State University, that describes lthe soil volume of different sizes of containers, and the proper size of container to use for various types of veggies.

Manure tea and compost tea are both excellent fertilizers. I also like fish emulsion. If you buy a potting mix, you probably won't need much fertilizer for the first 2 or 3 months, because many already contain a slow-release fertilizer.

HTH! :)

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”