Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Cardboard seed planters moved directly into the garden!

Peat pots do it why can't a easily made card board container be set in a hole directly in the garden! Just like DDog has the gutter with plants in itthis should work also! I was thinking of using I for almost anything! Make any size box by bending cardboard and punch a few small holes in the bottom and staple it together simple an cheap!!
+++
For example a 3 to 4 inch deep box about 6 inches wide and 12 inches or more long. Plant your seeds as if you just planted them in the garden inside the greenhouse early! that set them out when they are ready for the outside with no disturbance to the roots.
++
The cardboard will decompose over the summer and the roots will grow through the bottom holes! I would set these boxes on a board or any type of flat holder support to be moved later! Worms love cardboard and would be near the roots in the garden! You could even add worms to the box! I think I will be making some this week! Even when cardboard gets wet it will still hold soil for while ! What does everyone think?
Last edited by Bobberman on Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Makng a box out of cardboard is a interesting subject in itself. I was expermenting with some cardboard tonight and the small box is very strong if the flaps lock together and are doubled! Cardboard is thrown away all the time. I was even looking at locking the corners with paper tape or even a cloths pin! The square foot box may be the answer to a square foot garden the early and easy way to plant it! The cardboard would soak up any type of liquid that you wanted the bottom of the box to hold for root growth!

keskat

This is a pretty exciting idea for me - I work in retail sales and have access to untold numbers of untreated cardboard boxed that I could break down and repurpose. I especially like the idea of square foot boxes. How simple would it be to just plant them up and plop them down when it was time outside?!

Not to mention it would give me more satisfaction to be able to reposition the boxes over and over again to find exactly the right layout for the season. Kind of like organic Legos. :lol:

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Even the fast food cardboard boxes like long johns are like a double planter that will decay in the garden! Peat boxes are too expnsive and dry out to fast if not watered often where cardboard will hold the moisture better!

keskat

You've got me scouring my closets for old shoeboxes right now! And lids to the boxes printer paper comes in... I'm going to be up all night looking for boxes. :D

And, on another note - I wonder if the extra barrier of the cardboard will keep the critters away until the plants are developed enough to withstand a nibbled root or two? Maybe not if I use fast food boxes, since those will smell like greasy goodness... :lol:

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Just cover the extra french fries and ketchup with dirt!

keskat

Yanno, that's really a marketable idea, Bobberman. Those things would sell like hotcakes - the square foot ones, I mean. I can think of ten friends right now who would love the idea. I wonder why I haven't seen anything like that in the garden centers or box stores?

I dunno if you ebay or etsy or anything, but that's a heck of an idea for extra income. :)

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I will try the cardboard this weekend because I have tons more seeds to plant! This will also save me time seperating the plants to put into the garden in another 30 days! I never did the square foot gardening but may try it with herbs and the cardboard!

keskat

I think I'm going to start another herb bed with this idea. :) I can't wait to see how it turns out! Thanks for the idea!

Now I have an excuse to buy more seeds, too. :lol:

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Any suggestions on how to make the boxes so the sides are sealed tight? I was going to staple the sides or glue them but I am open for suggestion because they will be left to decompose I think! I will probably do 20 of them this week different sizes with most a foot square!.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

How tight of a seal do you want? Do you want the box watertight? I would think you would want some drainage, if you don't want to drown your plants. Remember, too, that once you put it in the ground, it will have to drain well, because it will collect water from rain and irrigation. The cardboard isn't going to decompose overnight, and your plants aren't likely to flourish if their roots are sitting in an underground puddle.

I presume you've chosen a box pattern with a one-piece bottom, so when you move it to plant it in the ground, there is less chance of the bottom falling out. I think it would be quite discouraging if the bottom of the container gave way, depositing your plants in a heap on the ground and leaving you holding an empty, wet, cardboard box.

keskat

I think if you fold them over, tightly, then fill with soil, the soil should hold the folds in place. here's a (very rough) drawing of what I mean:

[img]https://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c378/santashh/Garden%20Mystery/boxy.jpg[/img]

Cut at the dotted lines, fold to the inside at points B, fold to the inside at points C, tucking the shaded triangles into B folds. the red-outlined A triangles are negligible, and can be cut off or folded inward or painted with polka dots and pasted to the walls. Whatever you prefer. :lol: If its folded right, and the folds are tall enough (figure at least 2 inches, minimum) then you shouldn't need anything else at all for the box to hold its shape. In theory.

*Edit: While I was being long-winded, Kisal snuck in. I can see it happening now - me all proud of myself, walking out with my box o'plants, only to have them plop onto the ground a foot from their intended planting space!!! :lol:

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I understand how to make a box! I am making boxes out of any piece of coardboard and even getting a large box and opening it up and making small boxes out of it. I am punching many small holes in the bottom for the roots to pass through to the ground below once set in the garden! I am concerned howto attach the flaps by gluing or stapes.
+++The glue can be a wall paper type glue that is made by organic paste like flower! Paper tape could also be used to hold the side flaps. The bottom will be one piece only the sides need be held together similar to a water bottle 24 pack that has a small box holding the bottles but a heivier cardboard! These oxes should only take seconds to make. The small the box the stronger. The boxes will be set on a flat surface and lifted to the garden on a flat piece of plywood or any strong flat surface. I hope this makes it more clear! Even a 9 inch square box with 4 plants that will go directly into the garden inside the box! You could even sell the plants in these boxes!
Last edited by Bobberman on Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I'm anxiously awaiting photographs of this project, Bobberman. Perhaps you could post a video of making a box and planting it with seeds, then another of you transporting the box of young plants to your garden and planting the unit in the soil. :)

I'd also love to see some photos or a video of the greenhouse you frequently mention. :)

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I did use the cardboard boxes this weekend! I made some and had some from the store that worked great! I made them narrow like 9 by 12 by 3 and some 12 by 12 by 3. They were very strong at that size. I punched about 20 nail size holes in the bottom! The holes are for drainage and for the roots to go through when its set in the ground. I tried some quick growing plants like radish and cabbage! Thse boxes will also stop weeds from coming up through the new plants but it won't hamper the roots from going down into the ground below!
+++
I also made a stronger box with furring strips 24 inches by 9 and the height of the furring strip. and stapled carboard to the bottom and punched the holes in the cardboard! The wood box will also go directly into the garden and may work even beter than the all cardboard because it will be like a divider or a small raised bed that can be removed after the growing season and reused with another cardboard on the botom! I may use only these type boxes from now on cardboard or wood and cardboard bottom when I want to put out a early crop of lettuce or anything!
+++
I was at Shop & Save about 2 months ago and the guy was ptting ice cream out in the store. The ice cream came in a plastic wrapper container with I think 6 containers to a small box. The box was throwed away and was like 12 by 9 cardboard! he had about 20 boxes in the cart so I ask if could have then and took them home planning on using them for something like this! This worked out much better than I thought!
+++
Today I set the 9 by 12 by 3 inch cardboard on a table and punched holes in the bottom first. I then added a 1/2 layer of pine shavings on the bottom with a little blood meal mixed in! I covered it with my strained garden ! I then placed a 1/2 inch of weedless seed started soil on top and added my seeds and covered ther seeds! I watered the mix slightly and placed it in the green house.
+++
If the card board get too soft I will simply slide
something solid under it when I move it to the garden. I do not see any reason why this will not work. Like one member said it may also protect the roots till the plant gets established!
+++
At the end of the year what remains of the cardboard can be tossed into your compost since it has already been partially decomposed and probably has worm attached to it!

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”