jfinner1

Indoor garden for my rabbits.

I saw this amazing idea on one of my rabbit sites, and I would love to do it for my rabbits, but I really have no clue where to start. Picture:

[img]https://i51.tinypic.com/33a5w5g.jpg[/img]

So basically, I want a large but shallow indoor garden thing, though I'm still trying to figure out a good container. I have a place to buy the grating to go over the top, so that's the easy part. What I need to figure out: What kind of container should I use? What plants will work well together and will grow back after some munching? What should I do about lighting? How do you water the thing?

Here's a list of bunny friendly plants, not including veggies. Oh, also, the whole thing will be in my basement. It's a finished basement, so no worries on flooding or mold or anything like that, but it does stay cool.

Rosemary
Sage
Dill
Basil
Parsley
Oregano
Peppermint
Lavender
Thyme
Dandelion
Mustard Greens
Comfrey
Caraway
Clover
Daisies

Thanks in advance.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I doubt the plants will grow in your basement, unless you add supplemental lighting. To be effective, lights usually have to be hung about 4 inches above the tops of the plants, so that would be your first challenge, I think.

I had a big New Zealand hare for a few years. I built him a large tractor cage, similar to the one in this pic, except without the little house on the end. I laid a piece of plywood, just loose, on one end of the top, so he could have some shade when he wanted it. Each day, I moved it near to wherever I was going to be working in the backyard, and then put him in it so he could hop around and nibble on the fresh clover and dandelions. He loved it. :)

I couldn't leave him out in it unattended, though, because he could burrow into the ground. Still, he got to enjoy some fresh air, exercise, and fresh greenery every day, and I could easily keep an eye on him while I worked in my garden. :)

(My son named him Theophilus, after Theophilus London. The hare and I became good buddies. :D )

[img]https://3.bp.blogspot.com/_1dSCF7Pn62A/TFxu02SxJSI/AAAAAAAAAOY/Z6rA7WndGtg/s1600/DSC_0050.JPG[/img]

thanrose
Greener Thumb

Kisal, how sweet is that! Happy bunny.

I used to rotate flats of grass in and out of my aviary/bird condo. Saved a small amount of daily cleaning, provided a bit of nature and green stuff for birds that would peck at it. But I had Florida light year round coming through sliders a few feet from the aviary. And the grass still needed to be outside for a few months to recover from one month indoors.

A light suspended over the planting box is necessary since it doesn't sound like you have the expectation of rotating it in and out. The problem with that is now the bunny's access will be constricted, with sensitive ears getting too close to any flourescents, let alone full spectrum.

I'd also shy away from the stronger smelling herbs. One, they really need sun, and two, the rabbit may not do well eating them. I love oregano, but a little goes a long way. I'd probably plant a variety of things including discarded garlic cloves, onion tops, carrot crowns. Sprinkle wheat or oat seed for sprouting up and through. I don't know if rabbits should eat onion family plants though. Not good for cats or dogs, probably due to higher potassium interfering with cardiac function.

If you always have edibles growing, you could use a concrete mixing pan, generally black plastic, bigger than a cat litter pan and smaller than a kiddie pool, available at home supply stores. Drainage would be a problem, even if you are vigilant. And rabbits could definitely chew through it, which they are more likely to do when there is nothing better to eat.

jfinner1

Kisal, I have a pen a lot like that, though also without the little house at the end. They do enjoy spending time outside, when it's nice. But since I live in Ohio, the "when it's nice" becomes a problem a lot, lol. Snow Snow Snow...

Thanrose, I'll have to check out the concrete mixing pans. That sounds like it might be about the right size. Do you have any idea how to deal with the drainage part?

I knew that I would need some sort of lighting, and I've come up with a few thoughts on how to keep my bunnies away from the light (And the power cord) I'm just not sure what kind of lighting I should use.

Also, I know that some plants need more light, some plants less, and I think the same is true with water and temperature. How do I find out the right growing conditions for different plants? If I plant three different things and they all need different amounts of light, I doubt it would end up working.

Thanks for the help!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

When I had rabbits, it was also like Kisal setup. I also on occasion let them rump in a play yard.

Rabbit pictures https://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Rabbits/

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/DSC00996-2.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/DSC01088.jpg[/img]
I would grow carrot tops, kale, chard, spinach and similar leafy greens. Most leafy greens have same growing requirements and cut, come again characteristics.

Eric

ozark_rocks

jfinner1 wrote:
Thanrose, I'll have to check out the concrete mixing pans. That sounds like it might be about the right size. Do you have any idea how to deal with the drainage part?

!
Tractor Supply Co. has big trays that might work. They are for putting under large cages, and located in the pet area.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Whatever container you decide to use, it will need to have drainage holes drilled in the bottom. Then, you'll need something to place underneath it, to catch the excess water that drains out.

Most vegetables and herbs do well in full sun and neutral to slightly acid soil. I agree with thanrose about avoiding strong-smelling herbs, at least in the beginning. Before growing those, buy some at the grocery store and offer a taste to your bunnies. They might not care for them at all.

I think you could start with some mixed salad greens -- basically various lettuces with, maybe, something like arugula. For one thing, they don't require quite as many hours or the intensity of light as, say, plants that produce fruit, such as tomatoes. Carrot tops are always good. Theophilus absolutely adored dandelions, including the flowers. He liked chickweed, too, as did my finches. You might want to consider just transplanting a few of those "weeds" from your yard into your indoor bunny garden. Just make sure the haven't been sprayed with chemicals.

You can learn about the needs of specific plant species through google, or if you buy seed packets, the information should be on the label. If you buy plant starts, you might want to get them from a smaller, independent garden shop or nursery. Such places usually have more knowledgeable staff than the big-box stores, and they should be able to provide you with a lot of reliable information. They tend to provide more personalized attention, because they want you to become a repeat customer. JMO. :)

froggy

I have some lettuce on my windowsill and it gives me a plate full of salad about every other week...
So I am thinking that leaving the container with the bunnies won't work because they'll chomp down on everything they can reach...
And however large a container you'll find - the plants will need some rest from your little eating machines :-P
How about using a big tray like mentioned above for the drip tray, but fitting smaller containers into it, so you can rotate them outside/onto a shelf with better light when needed...

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

DDF....Love the pictures of your rabbits. They look very happy! :)

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

That first pic of your bunnies, Eric, is especially adorable. It looks like the Easter Bunny has come for a visit. :lol:

applestar
Mod

OK I've been meaning to read this thread... Sorry for the late entry.

Do you mean for your bunny to be IN among the edibles or outside the wire enclosure like the illustration?

My idea, if you want to do this indoors, is to setup a space UNDER a table -- thinking folding square card or rectangular banquet table kind of thing.

I'm thinking one of those heavy trays for putting under a washing machine for a drip tray. (Someone mentioned that on this forum before for putting under 5gal buckets). In your case, I think a series of window boxes of right dimensions to fit in the tray would do very nicely.

You could secure shoplights on chains under the table. They could be lowered for the plants and raised for tending and while the bunnies are playing.

You could also rotate the window boxes in and out. They could even go outside for extra sun or strengthening in the fresh air. (I think they would become more nutritious that way).

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”