fruit&veg

Fast growing cuttings?

Hi, I've not been on here for a while but I'm moving house soon and will have a large garden and a greenhouse :D can't wait!
I am planning a plant sale for a cat charity I fundraise for. I would like to raise as much money as possible as they have next to no funds. I am going to take lots of cuttings from coleus plants and grow these on so I have as many as possible for the plant sale.
Are there any other plants which I can buy and take lots of cuttings from? I will probably be selling them in summer so I'm looking for fast growing plants.
Any advice would be much appreciated!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

For indoor plants you might try Devil's Ivy (Pothos), Swedish Ivy (Plectranthus). All of them have variegated cultivars which are very attractive. Jade plants and holiday cacti grow easily from a single leaf and are quite popular. Any of the philodendrons are very quick to root and grow. You can cut the cane of a dieffenbachia up into sections -- cut between the nodes -- lay the sections sideways half-buried in damp sand, and each section will become a new plant quite quickly.

Geranium cuttings root readily and produce pretty plants.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

If you are growing the jade plant from a single leaf or small stem, does it go in water for awhile or dirt, with a root growth booster??? Thanks.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I just stick 'em in the soil. If I'm in a hurry, I just stick them in the same pot as the plant they came off of. Then, I can go back in a week or two and move them into their own pots, if I wish. By that time, they have usually started to sprout tiny little roots. :)

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Kisal, Thank you very much for the information. Much appreciatted. :)

fruit&veg

Thank you :)
Could you name some nice philodendrons which are quite popular (e.g. which I can probably find on ebay!)?

Also, are there any plants which will grow quickly from seeds and be ready to sell around summer time?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I'm sorry, but I really don't have any idea what plants you might find for sale on eBay. I never go there. [img]https://bestsmileys.com/clueless/4.gif[/img]

You could start any Annual plant from seeds right now and have them ready for sale by summer. Avoid seed packets that are marked Perennial or Biennial, because those don't bloom until the second year. :)

fruit&veg

Thanks Kisal. What about house plants which are quite quick to grow? Other than coleus and spider plants.

applestar
Mod

You DID say cat charity, right? ...because I would think catnip from cuttings would root easily since it's a kind of a mint, and you could easily grow "cat grass" from seed.

What about other herbs like basil, mint, lemon balm, thyme?

Now is a good time to take and root Fuchsia cuttings.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I see "cat grass" offered at my local pet-supply store all the time. I've asked what it is...it's a 3- or 4-inch pot with oat grass! Basically, oat "sprouts" that have been allowed to grow 3 or 4 inches tall.

Safe for cats to eat. :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If you have a source for the cuttings, you could try growing some shrubs or woodier plants.

Things like angel trumpet, forsythia, hydrangea, viburnum, red twig dogwood start well from cuttings and you could sell a well started little shrub for considerably more $$ than a coleus.

I like the herbs idea. Rosemary is very slow to grow from seed, but if you have a rosemary plant you can propagate it by cuttings or layering and they make lovely little plants. Asters and chrysanthemums grow well from cuttings also.

Alicemae

Have any of you ever tried mum cuttings? If so, do they need some kind of rooting hormone? Out of about 15 mum plants purchased over the years, only one has really thrived. It's about 2' high x 5' around and beautiful!
Maybe cuttings off of it would be hearty enough to propagate ?
It's tough to keep so many favorites happy in brutal Minnesota!!
Thanks for any help ~ Alicemae

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”