ladygaga

my yucca cane felll !!!

My poor yucca cane got knocked over by my cat and there didn't seem to be too much damage just spilled soil. I smoothed the top of the soil again and it seemed to be moist which was strange because I haven't watered it in almost 3 weeks so I was wondering if 1 the plant could be shocked by falling over, which seemed fine considering there was only spilled soil and no surface damage to even the top roots, and if 2 the moist soil indicates root rot. :*)

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

IMO, the moist soil could be due to lack of adequate drainage, either because the container doesn't have drainage holes (or has too few), or the soil is too heavy. Or it could be that you're watering too frequently. Or it could be that you're allowing the container to stand in water in its drainage tray/saucer/cache pot. Another possibility is that the plant isn't in bright enough light, so it won't be able to use as much water as it would in better light.

There's not really any reason to suspect root rot, unless you see symptoms of it, which would be the plant's leaves turning yellow and then dying, or soil that smells sour.

Is your yucca too large to be slipped out of its pot? If you think it might be in the early stages of root rot, it might be a good idea to slip it out of the pot and take a look at the roots. :)

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”