ladygaga

dwarf fruit trees quick replys please a limited time sale!!

My question is are these trees I'm planing on purchasing evergreen and are the care of course grueling because I fell in love today with them as I was looking online and they are just the most precious things I would LOVE to have all 3 but I'm not sure I can handle it if they aren't evergreen because I don't want bare trunks all over my room. And I also would like to know what the lifespan of these trees happen to be also because I look for long lasting plants. I'm posting the link that has all the information that can help me receive a quick answer I would like to purchase them asap thank you for the help in advance :*) <3 https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001N4GSSU/ref=mp_s_a_4?qid=1298232164&sr=1-4

wordwiz
Green Thumb

Would be great if you live in Zone 8 or above! Lemon, Lime and Orange don't do cold weather. Check out summerstonenursery.com/ and the Dwarf Trees.

Mike

ladygaga

Thank you I should mention I'm in connecicut but I don't understand those zones either but I would be growing indoors maybe letting them out in the summer but not even all day I wouldn't trust the animals we have that are constantly at my house!

applestar
Mod

We were recently talking about citrus trees here
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32679&highlight=

They need to be brought inside before freezing temp -- low 40's to mid-30's absolute minimum if you don't want them to lose their leaves. While inside, they will need sunniest exposure and/or supplemental light and cooler temperature -- mid-40's to 50's if possible. But they need to be acclimated to the sunshine and receive full day (+6hrs) sun during the warmer months for good growth.

Since many citrus flower during winter months, good indoor growing conditions and hand pollinating when they flower are essential. Otherwise, you'll still have handsome potted plants and fragrant leaves to use for cooking, etc.

wordwiz
Green Thumb

I wouldn't try the citrus trees, not unless you have lots of lights. Of course, if you have a house with large rooms that you keep warm and have south facing windows, you might do okay. I plan on growing two cherry, two peach and two apple trees this year. Probably won't get much, if anything from them this year and maybe next, but after that - fruit cocktail will rule, especially if my banana plant starts producing and I can find a marshmallow bush!

The trees I'm planning on will survive your winters and you can always build a cage around them to protect them from critters!

Mike

ladygaga

Well I ended up buying them :*) but applestar I have to repot them so how should I do that and what soil mixture and pot size should I use? And since they are dwarfs do I need to get those huge unattractive rods that seem to support the trunks I've seen?

gros michel

Good for you! I currently have a dwarf key lime( as well as other dwarf citrus) that is finally bearing after 2 years. It flowered and produced small fruits that fell off several times. Now this year they're sizing up really well and I'm already planning a menu around them. I always recommend the largest container you can provide unless the plants are very small( how big are yours?) then I'd start small and next time you need to repot go for the biggest you can handle. A potting mix of mostly commercial mix amended with some compost if you have it and some extra perlite for drainage works very well. No need for any extra support with these either. They'll form their own natural shape and can be pruned heavily to fit your home in winter. I've kept my lime about 2ft tall and if it hadn't been pruned so often it would have been over 6 ft for sure and unmanageable because of the spines. As far as defoliating in winter..... they will withought fairly bright light and a south facing window works fine if you can't provide supplemental light.
Good luck and ...just go for it and you'll be surprised how well these can do with a little care.

applestar
Mod

Oh boy I was getting REALLY confused! OP started a new thread after receiving the plants. So I'm locking this one. Let's continue discussions over there. :wink:
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32959

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”