Brie
Newly Registered

Water Gardens in Containers

Hi,
Has anyone had experience with container water gardens? I thought it would be fun to try but I thought I might ask someone who has experience first.
Thanks
Brie

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

My mother has some ceramic pottery that has been sealed with lacquer (spelling?) with fountains around her property. She has had fish in a few of them.

Seems to work well.

Just be careful with plant life (in any type of water garden) as it can take over and suffocate any fish you might have.

Grey
Greener Thumb

Better Homes & Gardens had a section on making water gardens out of large pots a couple of years ago. Not sure how you would find it - but some of them were really elaborate and creative!

Brie
Newly Registered

Thanks for the replies :) I would like to try one in a terra-cotta pot (spelling?) with a water lilly and umbrella plant which I already have in my pond. And add a small pump with a little squirting ornament to circulate the water. Maybe even add a goldfish or two :)

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Just be sure to seal the terra cotta pot because the pore size of the clay is large enough to allow water to pass through.

Have fun! :)

Brie
Newly Registered

opabinia51 wrote:Just be sure to seal the terra cotta pot because the pore size of the clay is large enough to allow water to pass through.

Have fun! :)
Will do. And plug the hole in the bottom :mrgreen:

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, plugging the hole is a must. You can buy terra cotta pots that don't have holes in the bottom though. To bad you don't live nearby as I have a tonne of them that I want to be rid of.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”