Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

P3 International Dr.Frog Electronic moisture meter,????

Just wondered if this moisture meter is what some of you are talking about??? That was all I could seem to find when I checked on-line. I don't want a hand held one, I don't think?? Any ideas anyone??? :?:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

no, just google soil moisture meter with probe, there's hundreds of them in a wide range of prices:

$200:

[url=https://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=safari&rls=en&q=soil+moisture+meter+probe&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=3351090629610554066&ei=tmNeTbvrE4G8lQf8xtXaCw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDQQ8wIwAg#ps-sellers]soil moisture meter[/url]

$10
[url=https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001A5OR5I/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_I=B001FADJ2A&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0G3C90CS11G8B5EEF84S]soil moisture meter[/url]

I haven't used them, can't make any recommendations, and don't know if this is or is not a case where you get what you pay for.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:roll: No wonder I couldn't find anything, I wasn't looking for one with a probe!!!! That first one looks pretty fancy, fancy price too. :shock: I wonder how they "Really" work though???? Anybody out there that actually uses them, that could give their opinion on them? Thanks for the sites to look at by the way. Much appreciatted.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:?: Anybody out there that uses Moisture meters with probes?????? Anybody??????? Would love to hear about your experiences......

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I bought this one. I wish I read the revues beforehand. :( My didn't work right out of the package.

https://www.amazon.com/Luster-Leaf-1880-Rapitest-Electronic/product-reviews/B000HHLJQA/ref=dp_db_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Eric

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:roll: DDF, That doesn't really give me a very good feeling about buying one. Hmmmm???? Wonder if the more expensive ones work??? Or just more money down the drain????? It looked like it should have worked didn't it. I think if I was going to buy one, it would have to be local, and they would have to let me bring it back if it didn't work. That's the trouble with sending away for things, then it's such a hassle to send it back, IF they will take it back. Lots of places won't..........I saw a new type of plant pot out, just the other day that has a self watering set-up with it. But it was expensive. Someone else will have to try those out first, not me. :)

applestar
Mod

Another thumbs down for moisture meters. I got one of those 3 function things on 1/2 price or it might have been even less when S&H closed stores. Total waste except as fun toy for the kids. :roll:

For me, still the best way to tell when to water container plants is by either hefting and gauging weight or by feeling the soil with fingers. Appearance of soil surface is a good indicator in most cases too, but I have some containers with active earthworms that leave the surface mulched with dried up castings. They make the soil LOOK dry but if I feel the soil, it's plenty moist just under the surface. It's very disconcerting.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Applestar, Do you water from the top of the plant, or from the bottom? Kisal submerges his plants, others just water from the bottom ( which is what I usually do) Just wondering which is the most popular method? I look at my plants and they look dry from the top, but I water from the bottom, and on some plants, it seems to show they have been watered, others it doesn't. That's where I seem to get fooled! Guess that's why I was wondering about the moisture meters. I do mist the plants that need it daily, not heavily though. Just enough to be noticible. Some of my plant pots have a sort of wick in the bottom of the pot, you water from the side near the bottom of the pot. Once I fill that up, I think they have enough water, but those are the ones that look dry on the top?..........Or am I just worrying too much over these plants? Seems like some of them just plain like a little neglect! Oddly enough!

applestar
Mod

Most established plants I water from the top. In most cases, I rapid pour/dump the water in, about enough to spread over the entire surface, then probably do it again, though not always. Unless the soil is completely dried out that soil has shrunk and there are gaps between the soil and the container, the water will seep in rather than run right out. The amount I deep sufficient is when a small amount of water comes dripping/draining out of the bottom to coat the entire surface of the saucer/drip tray. That much is usually sucked back up in a short time.

You get the "feel" for how much to give them after a while. If the water "beads" on the surface of the soil, that mean the soil is too dehydrated. You'll need to water more. You also get the "feel" for how the soil looks when dry enough to need watering (most of the time).

I'm too lazy to pick up and move the containers around very often. Only exception is my orchids -- they generally get a "shower" and get soaked up to the rim in the sink in the bathroom once a month.

I think I basically only bottom water seedlings because otherwise the water causes the soil to wash down and compress. I thoroughly bottom water at sowing, then I bottom water but also surface mist thoroughly until I see the first sprout so there is sufficient moisture in the surface area where the seed is. By the time sprout pushes up, the roots would have grown down deep enough so they don't need to be soaked from above, but I still mist in the morning because I believe that is the natural condition.

Hope that explains my methods somewhat. :wink:

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Well guess I'm going to be watering differently, on most of my plants from now on. The desert rose, and rope hoya's I think I will continue to water from the bottom. But the rest I am going to top water. Even the desert rose I wonder about, but they seem to tend to go soft and then die off. So those I don't think I will change from bottom watering, hopefully that is the right way to go with them? But watering most of the rest of my plants from the bottom, I don't seem to be getting enough water to them. Time for a change, to see what happens. I don't have a place here to soak them, until they are well watered as Kisal does. So will try top watering. It sounds better than spending a fortune on a moisture meter that doesn't work. Thanks so much Applestar, I'll keep you updated on what happens on the top watering. See if I kill anything or not! Hopefully not. Just not too much water! :oops:

RGrandall
Newly Registered

Green Mantis wrote::?: Anybody out there that uses Moisture meters with probes?????? Anybody??????? Would love to hear about your experiences......
I use this soil moisture meter. The price is about halfway inbetween the two sensors that rainbowgardener had listed. Overall I have been pretty pleased with it. I've heard that some of the cheaper sensors corrode easily and readings are affected by salinity (I.e. fertelizer) but mine hasn't seemed to have that problem, and I've been using it for year. Anyways... although I suppose I could just stick my finger in the soil to test moisture, it is nice that I can just stick the sensor in and get an instant reading. Call me strange, but I just don't like to get my hands dirty. Hope this helps!

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

I use an absolutely free moisture meter. My finger. :lol:

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Sounds like my kind of moisture meter. :)

JohnnyB60

I guess these Moisture Sensor Meter aren't very popular and I guess for those with plenty of water and regular rain, it wouldn't be needed.
I'm having so much trouble just to have a decent tomato plant in the desert during a drought that I'm desperate.
I can't pick up my planter to water from the bottom and its so dry and hot here that the top dries out almost immediately for my finger to work. I think that some thing with probes might be better because I could find dry and soaked spots deep into my pot.
I actually bought a meter maybe 20 years ago and only used it a couple of times. I don't know where it is now, but it was on clearance and it might not be as accurate as the newer ones. :roll: .

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”