dataz722
Newly Registered

Does this process sound good?

I am a complete and total noob but have done a bit of reading lately about gardening, container gardening specifically. I am looking to do a bunch of different peppers, some herbs, a couple tomatoes and yellow squash. What I am planning on doing is

Starting the seeds in the aerogarden seed starting tray. I have had an aerogarden sitting unused for a couple years now so I might as well just use it to start the seeds.

Once a few sets of leaves have grown move them to small 3" peat pots and put 3 seedlings in each.

Shortly before the last frost start hardening them in the peat pots and cull the 2 worst looking ones in each pot.

Then put the peat pots into 5 gallon buckets filled with soil and leave outside.

Does that sound right? Completely wrong? Anything I should do different? Suggestions?

Thanks.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I think it sounds okay, except I would avoid the use of peat pots. Use just about anything else. Peat pots are hard to keep at an even moisture level. They tend to be too wet, or too dry, or too acidic. (I personally prefer small plastic pots, which I reuse from year to year.)

I would put only one seedling in each pot. The planting of multiples and then culling out the weaker individuals is usually done from seed, not seedlings. In other words, plant multiple seeds to a single container, then cull the weakest sprouts.

I'm sure other members will chime in with other cultural notes for you.

Welcome to the forums! :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Couple thoughts: I have an aerogarden and like it for having herbs growing in my kitchen all winter. But it is a version of hydroponics. The roots are growing in water, not soil. Water roots are different from soil roots, much more tender and fragile. Transplanting things from the aerogarden to the soil is difficult. It can be done; last spring I did successfully move a basil plant from the aerogarden to a potting soil container, but it took quite a bit of babying. If you can, you are better off starting your seeds in potting soil under lights, than the aerogarden.

Also, I definitely agree with Kisal, that peat pots are seedling killers. You are way better off with plastic pots, or just use drink cups as long as you put holes in the bottom. Fill them with potting soil, put them in a tray, and put water in the tray, for the soil to soak up from the bottom.

Do some browsing in our seed starting forum, there's tons of info there.

dataz722
Newly Registered

Thanks for the suggestions. Just to clarify I am using the aerogarden seed starting kit. As far as I know the roots don't actually reach the water with that. They grow in plugs then you just transplant the plugs and all into a smaller pot to continue growing before taking outside.

What do you all think of the cow pots if you don't think I should be using the peat ones. Are they any better?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I haven't used them, myself, but I would be concerned that they wouldn't biodegrade fast enough to avoid constricting the roots as the plant grows. They'll probably be fine for starting the seedlings, but I've had so-called "biodegradable" pots that the plant's roots couldn't penetrate. You can cut or tear away the biodegradable material when you transplant into your garden, but that disturbs the roots even more than slipping them out of a plastic pot and placing them in the ground. You might as well use a paper cup and tear it away when you transplant. It wouldn't be any different, and it would probably be cheaper. JMO. [img]https://bestsmileys.com/clueless/4.gif[/img]

One more point about pots made of compressed material is that, when you transplant your plants into the garden, or even into a larger container, the entire compressed pot must be beneath the soil. Otherwise, if the lip is above ground, it can wick moisture away from your plant. Having to set the pot deep into the soil that way can lead to the plant being planted too deeply, because the surface of the soil in the pot is never right up to the rim. When plants are transplanted, they should be placed at the same depth at which they've been growing, with a few exceptions like tomatoes. Tomato plants traditionally are planted deeper so they'll grow larger root systems. Again, JMO. :)

dataz722
Newly Registered

Thank you. I guess I will go with the cups then. I was trying to use something that I could keep intact so it wouldn't disturb the root system but it sounds like there isn't a better option.

Thank you.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”