ladygaga

help my poor rescued african violet :(

Ok so my grandmother had this afrian violet for what she claims to be a year. Of course she had no idea how to properly care for it so there were no blooms and it was barren and damaged looking. at the time I didn't know much about repotting so I went to a bigger pot then I should have but I had no other choice. I used scotts all purpose indoor plant soil and pruned away most of the damaged leaves. I've been careful watering it usually wait until the pot feels light and the soil is dry to the touch. I will start watering from th bottom as I feel it is safer. I want to be told how bad the plant looks and if it is beyond the point of return nevermind blooming and any tips on watering from the bottomg? I was thinking putting it in a dish full of warm water for 20 mins mixed witth miracle grow violet food for 20 mins. Any advice? Here are pics for assessing the health and conditiong of how I'm keeping it. Thank you :). [img]https://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj127/momenttt/IMG_20110215_005054.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj127/momenttt/IMG_20110215_005102.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj127/momenttt/IMG_20110215_005111.jpg[/img]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Welcome to the forum! :)

African violets only bloom when their roots fill the pot (not the same thing as being root bound, though), so it could be awhile before you see any flowers.

Some regular potting soils are too heavy for the delicate roots of an African violet. I prefer to use a soilless mix made especially for these plants. I've never used Scott's, so I can't say whether it will be okay or not. Unless it's very heavy, though, I doubt it will be a major problem for your plant.

Pruning away the unhealthy leaves was good. Continue to do so as needed.

I only use plastic or glazed ceramic containers for my African violets. Unglazed clay can absorb salts from the water and fertilizer, and if the leaves or petioles touch the rim of the container, those salts can cause damage to them.

I water all of my plants from the bottom. I place them in a tub, or the sink, and fill it with water just deep enough so the containers don't float. As water is absorbed, I add more water to the tub, until the depth finally is just above the level of the soil in the pot. You don't want the plants to float, because they can tip over. That's not really good for African violets. When water is visible on the surface of the soil, I remove the pots and allow all the excess water to drain off.

Fertilize only when the plants are in an active growth period. You will see buds deep in the center of the plant at those times. The plants rest for awhile, and fertilizing them when they're at rest will only increase salt build up in the soil.

African violets need bright light, but not direct sun. A few hours of early morning sun is usually okay, as is an hour or two of very late evening sun. They will also do well if placed in a sunny window, but a couple of feet back from the window glass, so the sun doesn't actually hit them. Sun filtered through a sheer curtain would also be okay for African violets.

Does any of that help you? :)

applestar
Mod

Kisal's the expert. :D

I usually put them in regular green hard plastic pots with lots of drainage holes (decorative plastic pots have tiny inadequate drainage holes so I avoid them) that are about 1/2 the diameter of the plant... or as wide as the longest leaf. when they are blooming, I put them in a ceramic cachepot with gravel in the bottom to raise the plastic pot off the bottom ( no chance of drowned roots)

When watering don't use "warm" water. The water should be no warmer than tepid or "not cold" to the touch. :wink:

The leaves on your plant looks a bit pale/yellowed to me. Maybe not enough light? It could just be that my plants are dark greened cultivars though. I keep mine in windows facing slightly north of East and slightly north of West. (the west window ones are all moved to the east window in the summer as the sun gets too strong then.). A desk light or a lamp might provide some supplemental light if needed if you use Daylight CFL bulb.

ladygaga

Thank you for the quick replys :*) so I thought the same thing about the yesllowish/paleness of the leaves and I really don't know if that's just how the plant is or if is because of lack of light, but I would assume it is because of the lack of light it had before I took control of it. I have also been using my desk lamp that you see in the pictures to give it extra light, it is a 60 watt normal bulb so is that not adequete? I do have energy saving bulbs that I can use instead if that will be better and healthier for it. I also don't know if you guys notice from the pictures but some of the leaves seem to be curling under, and I'm just assuming that's probably a bad sign but I'm not sure. I actually have a little table and everyday I put all my plants on it and put them in the direct sunlight for the day. I heard that moving the african violet a lot isn't good either and I do move it around A LOT, maybe 3 to 4 times a day. I also heard you shoud let tap water out overnight to declorinate the water but I'm also not sure if that's something important either? And as far as bottom watering goes if I just use a deep bowl filled with water will that sufficice? The method you mentioned is just something I'm scared of messing up as I just started my gardening about 2 months ago. And lastly as far as potting goes I do have plastic pots I can repot it into so should I do that since the Thank you both though everything was helpful! :*)<3

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”