Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Fig, or Fiscus Potted Plant

:?: I just transplanted my fiscus today, the soil seemed really awful and it needed a bit bigger pot. The leaves have been going brown on the ends and dropping off. Would just needing to be transplanted cause this???? Or would it be something else?-----------------Another Question, do those glass globes that you stick in the plant pot( with water in them) actually work?????? Thanks in advance.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It could be the cause. However, Ficus can be very sensitive to chlorine and fluoride in the water. Chlorine is unstable and can be removed just by allowing the water to sit in an open container for 24 to 48 hours. Fluoride is more difficult to remove. I would suggest using either rainwater or distilled water for the plant.

I wouldn't depend on those glass globes, myself, but others might. Some people like the electronic moisture meters. I just go by the way the soil feels when I dig my fingers into it, or if the plant is small enough, I sometimes go by how heavy it feels when I lift it. I guess I'm old fashioned. ;)

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

I was watering it with bottled water, then kind of got off track, and just used the tap water. But we have a well, so don't know if there is something in that water that is bothering it or not. Since I transplanted it, I have gone back to bottled water. Was doing great then. Must have done something to the poor thing. :oops: Hope it forgives me and grows nicely again. Thanks again for your info.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”