Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

Hyancinth Woes

Greetings on the eve of Valentine's Day. I am having trouble keeping my hyacinth upright, Almost all the leaves have wiltedand its drooping. I placed them in my living room near a window but not full sun exposed. Watered it just now. Its actually 3 of them in a little pot from the super market. I love the smell and if I recall they like 55 degrees. Is it a combination of temperature and space? I think the soil is potting soil looks pretty rich.

I was also wondering about Aloe vera. Again I have a small tiny pot from a plant I picked up at the super market thats seems pretty happy that I worry about. Not a whole lot of experience with container gardeing inside of the home or office.

Thanks

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

How much water are you giving them? They like moist soil, but not soaking wet. It's important to remove the decorative foil from around the pot every time you water the plant. Otherwise, the excess water will be trapped in the wrapper, leaving the bottom portion of the pot submerged in water. That will cause the roots to drown. After you water the plant, allow all excess water to drain away before returning the plant to the decorative wrapper.

Hyacinths don't mind being crowded, so space isn't an issue. Average home temperatures are fine for hyacinths, after the cooling period is completed. The cooling would have been done by the nursery that sold the potted bulbs to the store where you bought it, so you needn't be concerned about that process (... unless or until you decide you want to force bulbs yourself at home, which is easy and kinda fun. ;) )

Are the hyacinths in flower yet? I'm really concerned that they may have been overwatered. :(

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

Yes Kisal You are correct. Thanks for the advice. One of my specialties is plant first aid. It will go into my sick bay to drain properly.

I wish I could find my camera! I think I lost it. They are flowering now but need a good 12 hours to drain under a fan. I really do appreciate the advice. HG saved my Pinnaple sage from Mite infestation, and others saw how I saved my fuchsias from frost damage.

What plants do you have inside Kisal? Just curious.

applestar
Mod

I think another issue is adequate light. Hyacinth foliage and flower stalk will get pale and floppy when subjected to insufficient light.

MIL gets the flowing gift ones for us every Easter. I plant them out in the garden after they're done and they usually come back. A cluster of these returned the next spring, pushing their way up by lifting up the cardboard and decorative mulch I put down forgetting they were there. :lol:

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

At the moment, I have:

Poinsettia
Calathea roseo-picta
Spathiphyllum (Peace Lily)
Sansevieria trifasciata variegata (Snake plant/Mother-in-Law's Tongue)
Schlumbergera (Holiday Cacti; I have several of these)
Saintpaulia (African violets; I have 5 of these)
Dwarf Dieffenbachia
Chlorophytum comosum 'Vittatum' (green and white Spider plant variety)
Chamaedorea elegans (Neanthe bella palm tree)
Epipremnum aureum (Variegated Devil's Ivy)
Various desert cacti I haven't bothered to ID

I have some seeds (basil and various flowers) that I intend to start this week or next. They will move outdoors when the weather is right. :)

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”