monocerotis
Newly Registered

I'm going to start by saying that I am a newbie to houseplants, but hey you have to start sometime.

I have a solid green spiderplant given to me by my aunt. It was my first plant and I have had it for about 6 months now. I just recently repotted it and noticed seed pods growing on it. I asked a couple friends who grow plants as well and they didn't know that spiderplants could be grown from seeds. thanks for the info. does anyone happen to know what the plants will look like being that the seeds are from a green plant? will they also be green or will they be variegated? I planted 7 or 8 seeds about 4 days ago and have been checking them regularly but from what I have read here I might be waiting for a while. any info would be greatly appreciated :)

--tj

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I can't predict whether your Spider plant (Chlorophytum comosum sp.) seeds will produce variegated plants. The flowers are self-fertile, so unless they were fertilized by a variegated cultivar, my guess is they will produce green plants. I suppose it's possible that the parent plant might carry genetic traits of a variegated forebear, which could be passed down to the offspring, but I have no way of knowing that.

I doubt you'll have to wait all that long for the seeds to sprout. A few weeks, and you should be seeing some results, I think. Remember not to overwater them, just keep the soil moist, not wet. :)

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”