Imperialboy

Using Wreath Box As a Seedling Flat?

Had an extra one of these I had bought for $6.
Good seedling flat?

https://s.shld.net/is/image/Sears/011W027326150001?hei=600&wid=600&op_sharpen=1

Drill some holes. It's 7 1/4" deep. Locking lid makes a good dome cover.
Should I try it? Or stick with seedling cells?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It would work, but you would have to drill drainage holes in the bottom to drain off excess water. Otherwise, you could plant the seeds in some kind of pots and set them inside the wreath box. That way, excess water could drain into the bottom of the box, if you water from the top, or you could water the plants from the bottom. In many cases, watering from the bottom is preferable, because it doesn't dislodge the seed from its position at the surface of the soil.

Another thing is that, at soon as the first seedling emerges from the soil, you'll need to remove the top of the box. That is necessary to avoid the buildup of too much humidity and prevent the development of fungal diseases. However, since the top of the wreath box is attached to the bottom, it might prevent you from getting the lights down close enough to the seedlings.

Those are my thoughts on the subject. I'm sure others will have more to offer. :)

AdamShea
Newly Registered

I also picked up a cheap wreath box recently. I thought it might work good to fill up with cilantro. That way I can harvest and replant them in a clockwise direction inside of this round(ish) container.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”