smmy195

Sounds like amazing stuff. I'll pick some up next weekend and spray both. I mean it can't hurt right?

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

I have not know it to damage any plant (even the most delicate ones), and it is harmless to animals and people so long as large amounts are not ingested. I guess that's what you mean by it can't hurt.

smmy195

Exactly. We have a cat and she's very curious. So we keep her away from the Sago as much as we can. I'm definitely going to use your product and see if it helps.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Yes, *definitely* keep the Sago and the Cat separated. All parts of the Sago are toxic to cats.

Check the ASPCA Poison Control page at https://aspca.org

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

applestar
Mod

That bit you said about vinegar in a container trap -- THAT is for fruitflies, which some people do call gnats. I have found the trap to be very effective for trapping FF's and use magazine subscription cards to make the funnel. I bait the trap with a bit of fruit as well as apple cider vinegar. Don't leave the trap out for too long or you'll start a Biology 101 experiment with 2nd generation of FF's hatching in your trap. I put some liquid soap in the funnel and add water, then shake the soapy water until all the flies are drowned. Some people recommend putting the entire trap in a zip bag and putting it in the freezer.

Fungus gnats readily drown themselves in an open saucer/shallow container of floral scented soapy water. I use my kids' shampoo which has a light violet-like scent.

smmy195

Thanks everyone. You've answered a lot of my questions! :D

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

There is one word of caution about neem oil. It does kill beneficial insects, including honeybees, just as readily as it kills pests. When using it to treat plants that are outdoors, it's best to do so during times when honeybees aren't active.

smmy195

Kisal wrote:There is one word of caution about neem oil. It does kill beneficial insects, including honeybees, just as readily as it kills pests. When using it to treat plants that are outdoors, it's best to do so during times when honeybees aren't active.
Understood.

smmy195

I watered the gardenia today and the green leaves were falling. I already noticed some were fallen before I watered also.

What could this be? :?:

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

This is difficult to tell because it may be one of several things. Can you take pictures of the leaves? My feelings tell me it's spider mites, but I could be wrong. If you want to treat it with neem in the meantime, go ahead and do that.

smmy195

I'm on my way out to buy some neem oil. I will apply today.

EDIT: Home Depot didn't sell neem oil but the lady said the Bayer product I purchased would kill all the insects I suspect having just the same.

She also said I'm watering them too much and that's why the leaves are falling off the Gardenia.

She recommended a moisture level indicator device, and after purchasing it and using it I realized I definitely am over-watering. The moisture is supposed to be at 8.0 and is reading 9.9.

With this thing I shouldn't have a problem over-watering anymore. It takes all the guess work out of it.

I also sprayed that Bayer product on the soil for both plants.

AND........ I bought a dwarf alberta spruce. I want something I can keep outside year round and not worry about the weather. Looks like a mini Christmas tree... :D

smmy195

[img]https://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c180/Smmy195/dwarfalbertaspruce.jpg[/img]

Here she is. 8)

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Let us know if you experience any more problems.

smmy195

Thanks dude, I will.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

What kind of moisture level indicator device did you buy? Have you found it to actually work well? I'd love to know the name of it. Thanks in advance. :)

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”