kmdewey
Newly Registered

BUGS!!!

Twice now I have had serious infestations. The first was in a large pot that I was trying to grow lettuce in from seed, there was probably hundreds of tiny bugs jumping around. I sprayed them with a tabacco tea and that seemed to take care of them for a few days but they came back.
The second time was on an ivy plant. there were hundreds of tiny bugs crawling everywhere and there seemed to be some sort of web all over the plant which had started to die. Since it has been so cold outside I just decided to put it out there and let it nature take care of them.

What can I do to avoid or take care of these tiny little problems before they get out of control?

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

I spray my plants with neem, both when I see they are in distress, and as a precautionary measure.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Although without pictures I can't be positive of the IDs, the insects on the lettuce sound sound like they might have been springtails. They are often found in potted plants that are kept too moist. They feed on algae, fungus and decaying plant matter.

The ivy plant's pests sound like spider mites. They like warm, dry conditions. They live on plants and feed by sucking the sap.

Both of these types of pests can easily be killed with a solutions of soap and water. Make sure to use soap, not detergent, as detergents can burn the plant's leaves. Read the label on the product. Mix about a tablespoonful to a quart of water.

Spray the plant thoroughly until it's dripping wet. Be sure to get the tops and bottoms of the leaves, and the stems from all sides. Repeat the spraying every 5 to 7 days. The repeat spraying are necessary to kill new bugs as they hatch. Four sprayings should clear up most infestations.

For springtail control, it's also necessary to wash out the plant saucer or drip tray and wash off the bottom of the pot. They often hide in such places. If necessary, the soap solution can be poured on the soil. Also, since these little critters like dampness and moisture, be careful that the plant isn't being overwatered.

Washing off the entire plant under the faucet once in awhile (I wash all of my plants about once or twice a month) will help to prevent spider mites, as will misting the plant with water once a day, or placing the container on a humidity tray.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”