celestius
Newly Registered

Help with a nearly dead Maidenhair Fern

Hey all -

I was hoping someone could give me some advice on what to do with a maidenhair fern (I've named Buttercup) that's nearly dead.

The story goes like this -

When I bought it, it had a little too much sun, but was otherwise robust and healthy. Now, it'd been awhile since I've had a houseplant, all of which I'd killed by overwatering them, so this time I took it easy. By the time I learned that ferns - especially a tropical species like the maidenhair - need to be kept constantly moist. Oops.

So, I started soaking the soil daily, trimmed the dead fronds (almost all of them, except for a few new shoots), repotted it, and added a 10-10-5 organic fertilizer a week later. What was once a big, leafy fern is down to four or five tiny shoots, and now the leaves are curling and look like a pale yellow. I think they're curling in anticipation of new growth - the tips of the fronds are rolling into spirals - but I'm still worried. I even bought a humidifier to give it something close to a tropical atmosphere. I've also been watering it a few times a day, and the soil is always cool and damp (the peat moss I put on top is usually very damp).

Am I watering it too much now? I try not to give it too much light - I know it likes indirect light - but I still wonder what's best for it. Is there anything else I can do to rescue it? Help!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Yes, I think you may be overwatering it now. 'Constantly moist' does not mean 'soaked'. Also, plants cannot use as much water when they are in low-light situations. The soil stays wet and the roots rot. Roots also need air to live, which is why it's difficult to grow plants in heavy, tightly packed clay soils.

A sick plant should not be fertilized, especially if the problem is with the roots. It's also not good to fertilize a plant that has recently been repotted. The fresh soil has plenty of nutrients for the plant, and adding more can burn the roots.

The leaves are curling and turning pale because they're dying. I'm afraid that your fern may be beyond help at this point.

Maidenhairs like a northern exposure, but will also do well where they get a little very early morning sun. They like high humidity, so should be misted frequently or placed on a humidity tray. Many people find that these ferns do well in the bathroom, where the humidity is high from the shower being run.

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to have to be the bearer of bad news about your little fern. :(

celestius
Newly Registered

Oh well - at least its litter will form the tissues of a new and healthier plant. Thanks for your advice, and thanks for the welcome. Hopefully it won't be long before I'm the one dispensing useful advice. :D

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”