nebraskannie

poinsettia problem

My friend was given a beautiful small poinsettia and didn't know how to take care of it. It is shedding everything at this point (I named it peppermint patty) with only two bracts left and a couple of flowers, although the plant itself looks green. I've never had a poinsettia and I don't know if this can be saved. Can anyone offer emergency advice? It's in a four inch pot in a peat pellet with pretty poor looking soil, but I don't know if transplanting it at this point would do more harm than good. Can I bring it back into bloom this year? Or is it too late? All info is appreciated. Thanks!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Here's an article from the home page of The Helpful Gardener (yes! there is a home page that's *not* the Forum!):

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/container/2003/poinsettia.html

Lots of info on poinsettias.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

nebraskannie

HI Cynthia,
I read the article, but it didn't say what to do if the bracts drop so soon after blooming. There appear to be buds on the plant, so I guess I'll water as usual and see what happens. Poor peppermint patty....;>)

froggy

nebraskannie,

a plant that has lost its leaves will need less water than usual, overwatering is what you don't want to do. Just check the soil and only water when it comes close to being dry - that way the roots will get some air and not begin to rot...

As an added measure, you can enclose the plant (and pot) in a clear plastic bag, to give it more humidity - but make sure you open and air out the bag daily, oh and don't place it in direct sun where it will get too hot...

good luck

Karin

applestar
Mod

I think the answer to your two questions are
1) Yes, Peppermint Patty can be saved
2) No she won't bloom again this year

My neighbor who passed away this year used to give away a small poinsettia plant to everyone in the neighborhood befor leaving for Christmas holidays with relatives in Florida.

In my experience, it takes some extra care to get the little plants through the winter -- I think my problem was usually the humidity. Also, these gift plants are usually planted in what looks like pure peat moss and would dry out easily if you follow the advice to let the soil dry between waterings, yet would stay soggy fif you overcompensate. Some years, by spring, the plant would have shed most of it's lower leaves until it looked like a stick. Some years, I was able to get it to recover through the summer and some years, I was able to get the plant to rebloom in fall, some years at the right time for the holidays.

lorax
Greener Thumb

Here are some observations from the native land of Poinsettias; I have a couple of Poinsettia trees growing in my front yard (yes, I said trees!)

On years where it's particularly cool at night around Christmas (when they'd normally be blooming up a storm) it's very common for them to drop their bracts and leaves faster than normal. Whenever they do this, I make sure to stop watering them (so that they only get rainwater, which is maybe once a week or so and sparing) and I also stop feeding them.

I live in a very low humidity area, and I'd be very leery of bagging a Poinsettia - it's like asking it to go moldy on you. Instead, I'd look to misting the sticks about once a week, generally on the same day that you water sparingly (simulating rainfall). If it's got visible buds, it will bounce back in 3-6 months, starting with green foliage.

Hope this helps!

nebraskannie

Thanks for the great responses. I'm hopeful for PP this evening. This morning I thought she was done for. Thanks everyone.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”