froggy

Repot new orchid, or wait?

Ok, so I 'rescued' an orchid from RONA. (the tag says it is a phalaenopsis) it was half off, but still flowering with new flower buds at the end of the stem.

I removed it from its 1.5" pot and it is currently growing in what looks like 100% moss, no soil or plant mix. It does not seem root bound, but has what looks like aerial roots trying to escape :p

I don't mind going and getting a decent orchid mix, but I usually let plants get used to their new environment when I bring them home.

Would you recommend:

a - leaving it as is, in the moss, for a few weeks?
b - putting it into a slip-pot with orchid mix, but leave the inner moss intact?
c - repot it entirely into orchid mix, removing of the moss what the plant will let go of?

also, it came in this ridiculously tiny pot - do they like small pots, or can I pot it up for faster growth? (it is currently 6" tall, aboveground, plus a 2" deep pot)

Thanks for any input.

Karin

microcollie
Green Thumb

I wouldn't do anyhting while it's blooming. Best to wait for it to go dormant.
Most orchids don't grow in soil...they're epiphytes which grow on bark, moss, etc. I have one thats been doing fine in a ball of sphagnum moss, but most of mine are in bark chips. The moss can sometimes break down and turn into soil, blocking the roots from taking in air. But it holds moisture well, so if you're prone to infrequent watering, it might be a good choice.

froggy

Thanks,

I've only ever seen moss used to root cuttings etc, not as an actual growing medium...
But what you're saying makes sense, so I'll leave it for now :)

shadowsmom

Orchids frequently come in pots that seem to small for them, but it's the correct size for blooming. They like to be a bit root-bound.

The moss is fine.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”