Jason_D
Newly Registered

dwarf lemon and orange

I bought and set up a fluorescent light fixture for my citrus plants. I have read that they need 12-14 hours under artificial light. Is this year round or should I keep the light on for fewer hours in the winter? During the summer I put them outside in the sun so I need to know how many hours they need during the fall/winter/early spring (I live in NH)

thank you for your time

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Citrus don't enter true dormancy in the winter, so yes, they will need many hours of very bright light year-round. You should reduce watering somewhat, though, because they do grow more slowly during the winter and won't be able to use as much water.

While indoors, the trees may need supplemental humidity if the room air is very dry. The standard methods of misting or placing the plant on a humidity tray work fine for this purpose.

wordwiz
Green Thumb

Kisal,

I've just started growing a dwarf orange tree in hydro. It's under a 400 watt MH lamp and seems to be doing decent. But will it, in time, need some chill hours (I've only read about this - haven't studied it)?

Mike

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Recently planted some miniature orange bush seeds, does anybody have any idea how long it takes for them to sprout?

applestar
Mod

I usually give tree seeds 3wks to 4 wks.

Sometimes they sprout after I've forgotten about them -- that's why, for me, the best place to plant the seeds is with other container plants in the house -- that way they will be kept watered without extra care. I can separate and transplant the seedlings when I repot in spring, when they go outside.

Be sure to stick a label in with the seeds -- I always think I'll remember that X seed was planted with Y plant... but by the time they sprout, I almost always forget what they were. :oops: (:lol: I'll recognize WHAT they are but not remember, for instance, that this citrus was a lemon or grapefruit, and that apple was a Granny or a Gala, etc. :roll:)

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:D Good thing you told me 3-4 wks, otherwise I probably would have tossed them. Thinking they weren't going to grow! Do you cover your pots with seeds in them with anything? To keep the moisture in to get them growing? Thanks in advance.

applestar
Mod

I haven't needed to provide a vented humidity cover for citruses or apples. I do typically use one for avocado seeds.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

I started with some saran wrap over them, not touching the pot tops, but decided that they might go moldy or something, so took it off. Hopefully they will be fine, but by the sounds of it they don't need it anyway. Can't wait to see if they grow! I sure hope so. :) Thanks for the advice.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”