natalyadt
Newly Registered

My Dracaena stopped growing in my cold office!

Hi,

My potted dracaena plant (I haven't been able to figure out which type - it has no trunk and is rather bushy) has become very meek in recent weeks - the growing has completely stunted, and I think it has to do with the cold temperature of my office. New leaves have stopped growing, and existing leaves seem that they will soon surely die. I have been watering it consistently 1/3 cup once a week for several months.

It used to be thriving, shedding leaves that I sheered Monday morning and growing new ones. This was when I was in a smaller office with no windows. My new office has 2 large windows, on which I used to keep the shades up, exposing the plant more to the temperature. A few recent Mondays mornings in a row, I found the leaves incredibly droopy, but they perked up a few hours after I watered it. I keep the shades down now, and the leaves have stayed perky, but the growing still seems stunted. I think it must still be too cold. The tiny little leaves that before I would watch grow into full ones have remained the same size for weeks on end.

Any advice? I would love to keep this plant in my office.

Thank you!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Could you post a picture? Draecenas are tropical plants. They do best and grow actively when the temperature is between 65º and 80º F. They're tough plants, though, and can survive temperatures as low as 22º F for very short periods of time.

When the temperature drops too low, a draecena will become dormant ... a period when active growth stops. During dormancy, it will not have need for as much water. It's a good idea to reduce the amount of water the plant gets during such periods, in order to prevent the development of root rot.

If you're keeping the shades down to control the temperature, I wonder if the plant is getting bright enough light? Like I mentioned, these are tough plants and can tolerate low light levels, but do best in bright indirect light. It's good to remember, too, that plants in very low light don't need as much water and grow much more slowly than when they receive bright light.

HTH! :)

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”