the collecter

Salvia in container questions

I bought a Salvia plant from a nursery and repotted it into a gallon pot, I plan to keep this plant in a pot for it's whole life. I know that Salvia will not come back to life next summer when the growing season starts, so my questions are:

Can I keep the Salvia indoors where it's warm in the winter?

Another Salvia has germanated next to "the mother plant" and I'd like to save both plants from the winter. My Salvias are rather small due to the container growing so they won't take up much room at all. These are very beautifull red flowers and I've taken all kinds of care of these plants. These plants have been broken, crushed and the pot had gotten flipped over by my dog at one point so taking so much care of these plants, I have bonded with them.

Will my Salvia survive the winter if I bring it indoors where its warm?

all feedback is greatly appriciated
~the collecter~

Grey
Greener Thumb

Well in Florida, Salivia is a perennial. So it could be that, brought indoors and given lots of good light, they might make it. They are a full-sun plant, so the light part might be tricky for you.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Keep in mind that trees need a dormant period. If the tree is native to florida, you'll have to take into consideration the climate that is down there.

But indoors, trees tend to be harmed rather than benefitted because they do not achieve proper aeration and also do not have the proper wavelengths of light that trees outside achieve.

I would think that a sheltered spot next to the house would be best but, researching the needs of the tree would be good.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”