baileysup
Green Thumb

separation

I would think that the longer multiple plants were kept in the same container, the more difficult they would be to separate. is it a good idea to decide right away if you would want to separate the plants? will there come a time years down the road when separating them will be impossible, and would kill the plants if attempted? and finally, are there any problems one can run into when keeping 2 or more plants in 1 container over time. thanks guys
Last edited by baileysup on Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It depends on what kind of plants they are, actually. At least, that's my opinion. It's always easier to separate them before the root systems are developed. That doesn't mean it would be impossible to separate them later, however.

For many plants, you can just take a large, sturdy knife and cut the root ball in sections, leaving one plant in each section. Then, you would prune back the top growth of each plant and pot it up individually.

I'm guessing, though, that you're referring to the plants you recently purchased ... the Dracaena and the Sanseveria. Right? I wouldn't separate the Sanseveria until spring, and I wouldn't separate the Dracaena at all. But, of course, there's no rule that says you can't do whatever you like with your own houseplants. ;)

Plants that are going to sprout new growth and become bushier, rather than only growing taller, can be separated, because they'll eventually become nice, shapely plants. The Sanseveria will do that. The rhizomes will multiply and send up new shoots from the soil, until the plant literally fills the pot.

The only way to get a Dracaena to sprout new growth from the cane is to cut off the top. Even then, the branches that sprout are usually clustered at the top of the cane. These plants are not propagated by root division. They are propagated by cutting the cane into sections, allowing the cut ends of the sections to callus off (air dry), and then potting them up to create new plants. This is a plant that might not recover from being separated, if the roots are very enmeshed. (Cane plants ... Dracaenas, Dieffenbachia, bamboo, and others ... are commonly planted in groups of odd numbers, because such groupings are considered to be more pleasing to the eye than single plants or groups of even numbers. That's the theory, anyway. :) )

baileysup
Green Thumb

with the sanseiveria , I might transplant in spring to get it into the good stuff, but other than that, I will wait for the cheap thin plastic pot it came in to break before I transplant it. I've learned a little more about sans from the last time I posted. in my opinion, the trees would look better together as a pair, so I think I will just keep them together as long as there wont be any problems down the road. I don't see why there would be. of course the time will come to divide the sans, but I will be ready. once again Kisal, you've proven yourself to be an invaluable part of this forum. I'm greatfull for every word from you. thanks again

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Just think of the Dracaena as if it were one plant with 2 stems. When you need to repot it, don't disturb the root ball any more than is necessary. Move the whole thing into a larger pot. It should do fine for you. :)

baileysup
Green Thumb

what about crotons? my girl bought it for my birthday. I was told that I should separate all 3 after a year (single pots). what do you guys think? should I separate the 3 crotons, or let them be together forever?

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”