baileysup
Green Thumb

Snake plant or Dracaena Marginata?

I was looking at the plants at walmart today, and they had 3 very nice snake plants (2 with stripes and one solid dark green). they also had some very nice dragon trees. all specimens were about 2 1/2 feet tall. if a snake plant is just dark green, will that be it's color for life. will it never have stripped markings. is there a preference for the markings on a snake plant, or is it just personal preference? also I'm not sure if my cats would like the Dracaena Marginata a little too much. anyone have experience with this plant around cats (we have 5, but 2 kittens that are trouble makers). at under $8.00 each, I'm thinking of just getting both, but I'm a little confused, and would like some input from you guys. should I get a stripped snake plant or a solid dark green one? what are the thoughts on the dragon tree? my thumb is becoming greener as my aloe vera and croton plant are now thriving as winter nears. I finally have the conditions for both of these plants nailed. I would like opinions please. I've never owned either plant, but have read that they are easy to take care of. I 've heard that the snake plant should not receive direct sun in the summer, but what about through a window in the winter? can a dragon tree receive direct sun in the summer, or through a window in the winter? sorry for all the text, but I plan on buying the plants tonight (before they're gone), or ASAP. what are your opinions please. I'm so happy I found this site. it's one of the best!
Last edited by baileysup on Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Snake plant (Sansevieria trifasciata) is very easy to grow. They do fine in low light areas, but grow even better in bright light. My personal preference is for the variegated form (Sansevieria trifasciata 'Laurentii'), because I use these plants to brighten dark corners of my home. The lighter colors work better for that purpose. The only real difference, beyond appearance, is that you can propagate the green variety from leaf cuttings, whereas the variegated form must be propagated by root division or it will revert to the green variety.

I don't grow dragon trees (Dracaena), simply because I don't care for the appearance.

baileysup
Green Thumb

wow! very good info there. thanks Kisal. that's exactly what I needed. I'll just start with the variegated snake plant, and see how that goes, before bringing another fairly large plant into our small house.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

They're great houseplants, but have rather aggressive root systems. In fact, I've had them actually break plastic pots, and I've read that they break clay pots just as easily. :lol:

The rhizomes grow downward, then out to the side, then upward, so I suggest you not use a shallow container for your plant.

Sanseveria is drought tolerant, but the tips of the leaves will turn brown if the plant is kept too dry. I allow the soil to become fairly dry between waterings. Once a week watering during the growing season should be sufficient, and maybe a bit less during the winter. You'll have to adjust your schedule according to the dryness and temperature of the plant's environment. :)

baileysup
Green Thumb

yes $8.00 a piece! I bought both of them today, and they will stay in our bedroom. the cats are not allowed in there, and there is a great wide window for them that gets sun for at least 6 hours. I guess they were so inexpensive, because they wanted to get rid of them. all the other plants ( pothos/palm...ect) were at least $11.00 on clearance. these seemed like a fantastic deal, and they were. they are both very nice specimens. large and healthy. I think there are two dragon trees in the one pot ( just about sure of it. why else would there be two stems of the same large size). I will wait till spring to separate them though so they are not stressed too much, and have time to acclimate to their new conditions. I heard if you buy multiple plants in one container to keep them together for the first year and then separate. I believe there are two snake plants as well (maybe one is a pup?). anyway, they both feel like they may be a bit pot bound, but I will not know for sure until tomorrow when I take them out of the containers. it's surely not uncommon to purchase a pot bound plant. a lot are sold that way as you may know. if there are 2 snake plants, will separate them next spring as well. I wish I had my brothers camera to post pics cause they are so nice. I'll see if I can take some pics in the near future. thanks for all the help, and I'm sure I might have some questions with them down the line, so I will post then. and thanks again Kisal. I hope that when I have questions with them you are here, because you surely have a vast knowledge when it comes to horticulture. later guys

baileysup
Green Thumb

hey there, me again. there are definitely two snake plants in the one pot (one is a pup from overgrown roots). there are also two dragon trees in the same pot that are of equal size. if I'm careful, could I separate both of these plants into there own containers now? or should I wait a bit so they can acclimate to their new environment (just brought home today)? if I should wait, how long should I wait for them to acclimate ( a month or early spring)? I understand it's about winter time, and not growing season, but is it safe to do this time of year if I'm really careful about it?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

IMO, it's usually best to divide houseplants in the spring, just when new growth is starting. It's possible that the plant would do fine if divided now, but I feel that would put undue stress on the plant at a time when it isn't actively growing. JMO, though. Personally, I wouldn't divide the Sanseveria at all, until it was pot bound. I usually just wait for the pot to crack to determine when my Snake plant needs to be either moved to a larger pot, or divided into 2 or 3 separate plants. :)

Dracaenas look better with more than one stalk in a single pot. It will not sprout additional stalks ... at least that has been my experience. They plant multiple cane cuttings to a pot in order to give the impression of a shrubbier, bushier appearing plant. If you separate the canes into individual pots, you'll just have a single long bare stalk with a bunch of leaves at the top. As the cane grows taller, the lower leaves die off. I've never seen one sprout side branches or anything like that. Maybe they can, but if so, they sure never did it for me! :lol:

My reasons for not growing Dracaenas is just a matter of personal taste. I don't care for single-trunked palm trees, either. I do like the little multiple-trunked palms, though, like Chamaedorea elegans 'Bella'. :)

baileysup
Green Thumb

a plant is only potbound when the roots start to circle the bottom of the container right? I will check the roots tomorrow just to see what they look like, but will definitely take your advice and not separate anything (if anything) till spring time. I could do a simple transplant to a slightly larger container this time of year if I had to though, right? if they are potbound, but are healthy, I guess even a simple transplant could wait till spring. I'll keep my eyes on them. thanks again Kisal.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

If you're in an area that gets cold winters (or as in my area, gray and rainy winters), then your plants will probably do better if you wait until spring to transplant or divide. In the low light levels of winter, plants grow very slowly, if at all. Too much soil around the roots can result in excess moisture being retained, possibly leading to root rot. Unless the plant is so root bound that it's suffering, I would delay even moving it to a larger pot.

Even in the summer, when a plant is actively growing, you don't want to move it to a pot more than one size larger than its old one. :)

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”