Jalopy19
Cool Member

Mealybugs and coleus

I am pretty sure I have a major mealybug infestation. I have heard many opinions on how to deal with this, but I would like the advice of other indoor gardeners. They are particularly troublesome on my coleus.

By mealybug I am referring to those fuzzy white monstrocities which are about 2-3mm long. They seem to breed like rabbits and I can't seem to keep them down. I also have some just totally munching on a Mexican Heather plant which I keep outside. (which I think is weird because it's kind of woody)

I have tried organic and inorganic sprays which I find at Wal-Mart and they don't seem to do much at all in the long run.

Any thoughts on systemic acting insecticide granules?

SkyKero
Cool Member

I think this is what I had on some of my hostas this year -- I want to say that I wiped the leaves with soapy water -- and then I didn't see them anymore...

... but to tell the truth -- it also dried out after that -- and I don't think the mealy bugs like it when it is dry -- they like the humidity ...

I think...

Silvia

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I dip a q-tip in rubbing alcohol and touch it to each insect. That will kill the adults. They're the hardest to kill, because of the fuzzy white protective coating they hide under. The sub-adults don't have that coating yet, and an ordinary soap solution should take care of them.

Spray the plants with the soap solution (be sure you use real soap; most dishwashing liquids are detergents) until they're dripping wet. Be careful to spray both the tops and the undersides of all leaves, and spray the stems from every direction, as well. Repeat every 5 to 10 days, for a total of 4 treatments, to kill any new bugs that have hatched from eggs that might be on the plant. That should end your infestation. :)

Hallchinalady

I use safer soap for my orchids with just about a Tablespoon of alcohol added to a quart of mixed safer soap.....spray all the leaves and be especially vigilant to get underneath and where your new leaf growth is.....they tend to love the new growth. I do this every day for about two weeks and watch for new hatches, as they will take over quickly.

We went on vacation for a week and when we got back...I had a mess of mealy bugs.....I think I've got them concurred now...I hope.

Good Luck.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

A light wipe over with a rag dipped in metholated sprits will make them splutter a bit too.
Works a treat on scale insects as well...beasties like mussel scale.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”