Muadibz
Newly Registered

Need To ID My Dying Plant!

Hello All,

I was hoping someone on this forum could help me, I bought this plant at the end of the summer from a local greenhouse, but no one explained to me how to take care of it and I can't seem to find anyone there to ID it for me.

I was told when I bought it that it was a succulent, but I'm not sure if thats true or not.

The tips of some of the lower leaves are starting to turn brown, I'm currently watering it around once a week. I'm not sure if any of this is correct.

Any help would be greatly appreciated in IDing my plant and correct care instructions!

[img]https://i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii423/Muadibz/Plant.jpg[/img][/img]

thanrose
Greener Thumb

Looks like Dracaena fragrans "Massangeana", sometimes called corn cane.

Tap water will often cause browning tips with these. If you can't use rain water, let a jug of water stand overnight and see if that helps.

Muadibz
Newly Registered

Thanks Thanrose!

I've done a bit of homework and I think you are spot on. Everything I can find that describes this type of plant seems to be spot on I see a lot of people having the same problem as I am. There is really only one question I have left,

Now that I know how to properly care for my plant and how to water it, what type of sunlight to put it in, should I cut off the dying / browning leaves?

thanrose
Greener Thumb

Mine always grew in shifting shade outside (Florida) because I can't stand the scent of the flowers. They'll do okay indoors in offices, though. I'd suggest bright light, not direct sunlight.

When I have minor leaf damage like this, I cut off the brown bits, just a hair of brown edge remaining. If you cut into the green, you'll probably still get a tiny edge of brown in a few days, so that's just saving millimeters.

Sometimes on leaves of this shape, you can trim the ends in a V shape to approximate the natural tips, which will look better on the leaves with the most to lose. I've also just cut them on a diagonal when I've had a lot of work to do on a rescued plant.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”